THE BOATING INDUSTRY EDUCATION & TRAINING IN THE US
There is no set career pattern in this loosely diverse industry. Education and training is very important initially and there are various programs available throughout the United States. Whether it is a technical associate degree program, or a boatbuilding apprentice course, you may find many schools and institutions offering programs which suit your area or level of interest/expertise. In sailing and boating, there are mainly three organizations providing guidance and certifications for sail training and boating, American Sailing Association, US Sailing and the US Coast Guard.
Following schools provide education and training programs for both leisure and serious boating/sailing enthusiasts. You may find more through the menu system above under the appropriate categories listed.
Sailing, Boating & Other Leisure Activities
- American Sailing Association (ASA) - one of the most popular and has presence all over the important centers of maritime sailing activities.
- US Sailing - Provides certifications to both individuals and schools.
- US Coast Guard (USCG) - When it comes to more advanced training / certifications, USCG provides very comprehensive guidance for all activities related to this exciting maritime activity.
- More information on schools - ASA and US-Sailing Approved Sailing Schools in the USA
Other Programs & Apprentice Opportunities
- Boatbuilding, Maintenance & Marine Technology Programs (Schools offer regular vocations programs as well as apprenticeship model)
- Electrical and Electronics Technician Programs (Vocational and independent professional program providers)
- Yacht Design (Programs available both onsite and distance/online learning mode)
- Marina Programs (Institutions like International Marina Institute in Rhode island provide training and certification)
- And more..
- Please check US States category for list of schools offering the above - here or our top menu navigation.
THE BOATING INDUSTRY EDUCATION & TRAINING IN THE UK
UK is one the major powerhouse when it comes to sailing, boating and other leisure maritime activities. Royal Yachting Association (RYA) has developed very thorough and practical guidance and training procedures which are popular not only in UK or Europe, but also in Australia, New Zealand, Asia Pacific and the other parts of the world. RYA with the backing of UK’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has developed one of the most outstanding systems, courses and procedures for sail cruising, sport boats, powerboats, yachts, Dinghies, RIB’s and more. RYA certifications are the most sought after and recognized worldwide by most of the maritime national agencies.
There are several routes to training and education in the boating industry available in UK.
- RYA approved courses
- College level BTEC Courses
- City & Guilds Courses
- Apprenticeships (on-the-job experience and qualifications)
Typical Training Programs
- Sailing, Boating, Yachting and Watersports
- Boatbuilding and Maintenance Programs
- Electrical and Electronics Technician Programs
- Yacht Design
- And more
- Please check UK category for list of schools offering the above - Superyacht & Boating Leisure Professional Training in England
RELATED SECTIONS WHERE YOU CAN FIND USEFUL INFORMATION
- A Quick Look at Careers in Leisure Boat Industry - A quick introduction with deatils of typical training and career options.
- Sailing Schools in the USA - In this section you could find a variety of ASA or US Sailing approved schools providing training and certification categorized into region and statewise.
- UK Sailing, Yacht & Watersports (RYA) Training - When you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you can find some schools providing RYA accredited programs in England, Scotland or Wales.
- Australia & New Zealand Boating, Sailing, Yachting and RYA Training - Some of the best schools or agencies in Australia and New Zealand providing Sailing & Yachting related courses and certifications.
- Occupational Map - Marine Leisure - The Maritime Skills Alliance sets and promotes skills standards for the UK’s maritime sector. You may find more about the occupations here.
- Boating Careers Guide - This guide is preprared by the Boating Industry Association, New South Wales, Australia