US Coast Guard Approved Marine Training in St. Petersburg, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Panama City, FL & Other Locations in AL, PA, NY and SC & Online
The SeaSchool is a nationally renowned U.S. Coast Guard approved training school with convenient locations along the Eastern Seaboard, Gulf Coast and the Caribbean. The SeaSchool has over 37 years experience in dealing with Coast Guard Licensing, Regulations, and Maritime Education and its USCG Certified Licensed Instructors have extensive knowledge and experience in commercial vessel operations and instruction. The School has campuses in St. Petersburg (HQ), Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville and Panama City in Florida & Mobile Alabama, Charleston South Carolina, New York, NY, and Aston, Pensylvania. Sea School also conducts programs at various Yacht Clubs, Marinas and Companies apart from the above locations.
Sea School has accommodations at some of the Sea School campuses. Dorms and meals are available in Mobile Al campus, dorms are available in Charleston SC campus and limited sleeping facilities are available in Panama City FL campus. All other Sea School’s will have a list of nearby hotels and possibly discounted rates for Sea School students.
- OUPV (6-Pack): This license is properly termed Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) and commonly referred to as the 6-Pack. The word uninspected means that the equipment required and the design of the boat are less regulated. 6-Pack refers to the 6 passenger limitation placed on the license when operating as a captain on an uninspected vessel. OUPV licenses are issued with a particular route. Your license can be for Inland routes (meaning bays, sounds, rivers, lakes, etc.), Near Coastal (NC) routes (out to 100 miles offshore) and the Great lakes route. NC covers all three routes.
- Upgrade to Master: A Master license is required if you operate inspected vessels. Inspected vessels are those that carry more than 6 passengers. Additionally, to become inspected the vessel must be built in accordance with rigid USCG Commercial Vessel Inspection standards. This license is also issued with a particular route (Inland, Near CoastalL and Great Lakes) with varying tonnage allowances based on your experience.
- STCW Courses: Basic Safety Training (BST); Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS); Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA); and Bridge Resource Management
- Radar Observer Endorsement (Unlimited - Inland & Recertification)
- Assistance Towing Endorsement
- Launch Operator: Launch Operator Licenses are Available in Two Categories: OUPV (6-Pack) Limited and Master Inland Limited.
- FCC Radio Licenses
- OUPV Captain's License: All OUPV licenses are for vessels less than 100 Gross Tons. Throughout this online instruction you will learn practical aspects of boating, including Rules of the Road, Radio Operation, Survival Techniques, Distress Signaling, Boating Terminology, Boat Equipment, Use of Flares, Use of Life Jackets, Techniques of Seamanship, Anchoring, Aids to Navigation, Boat Registration, Navigation, Knot Tying, Firefighting and more. After completing the course, students take Sea School's exam. The test is based on the course material and you should be ready to test after reviewing the material. Testing is conducted at Sea School offices in Freeport, NY, Charleston, SC, St. Petersburg, FL, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Panama City, FL, Mobile, AL, Aston, PA, San Juan, PR and at various classroom locations on the Atlantic Coast, the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico.
- Upgrade to Master: If you already have your OUPV license then the Upgrade process from OUPV to MASTER is quite straightforward. Requirements for this upgrade license are additional sea time, physical, and drug screen along with the license application from the Coast Guard. Your next step is to take a tough USCG exam at the Regional Exam Center near you or you can complete our Upgrade Course and proctored test in lieu of that CG exam.
- Auxiliary Sail Endorsement: Any Master licensed captain who wishes to operate an inspected sail vessel for hire, must have an Auxiliary Sail endorsement added to his or her license. This USCG approved course will cover all required information in regard to inspected sail vessel operation. You will need to show 50% of your required time on sail or auxiliary sail vessels. At the completion of the course and proctored test, Sea School will issue a certificate of completion which you will submit to the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard will then add the endorsement to your license.
- Assistance Towing Endorsement: Any USCG 6-Pack or Master licensed captain up to 200 tons, who wishes to assist disabled for a fee must have a Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement added to his or her license. This USCG approved course will cover all required information in regard to assistance towing vessels. At completion of the online course and proctored exam, SeaSchool will issue a certificate of completion which you will submit to the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard will then add the endorsement to your license.
- License Renewal: SeaSchool is approved by the Coast Guard (under 4G CFR 10.227) to teach an online Renewal/Refresher course for Deck Licenses up to 200 tons. A short quiz at the end of the online class will conclude the course. SeaSchool will then issue a certificate of completion. This certificate is mailed to the Coast Guard along with your application. The Coast Guard then mails your new license to you.
Last updated: Mar 14, 2017