Maritime Systems Engineering; Marine Electronics; Maritime Technology & Logistics; and Marine Policy and Management Education & Training in Tokyo
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology (TUMSAT) is a national university in Tokyo, Japan and the only university in Japan specifically dedicated to research and education on sea. The university was established by merging Tokyo University of Mercantile Marine and Tokyo University of Fisheries in 2003. The university plays a significant role in maritime education within Japan, since both pioneering predecessor universities specialized in related fields based upon traditions of over one hundred years. The main campus (Shinagawa Campus) is located in Minato, Tokyo and another campus (Etchujima Campus) is in Koto, Tokyo.
The Faculty of Marine Science is on the Shinagawa campus with four undergraduate courses; Ocean Sciences, Marine bioscience, Food Science and Technology, and Marine Policy and Culture. The Faculty of Marine Technology is on the Etchujima campus with three undergraduate courses; Maritime Systems Engineering, Marine Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, and Logistics and Information Engineering. The Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology is a multidisciplinary education and research institution, provides courses in masters and doctorate level.
The faculties have been approved by the Japanese Government as the Class I Training Institute for navigation officers. The university operates 6 training vessels which are used for both education and research at sea. The flag-ship, Umitaka-maru, travels to all oceans of the world, and regularly visits the Antarctic Ocean on cruises in cooperation with the Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition.
Note: Most of the programs are conducted in Japanese.
- Maritime Systems Engineering Department Program: Specializations - Information Systems Engineering; Marine Technology; and Maritime Management. The first and second grade students are offered fundamental maritime education including the curriculum of ship’s actual training and then offer its third and fourth grade students with professional maritime education. The students of the third and fourth grade are divided into two courses by chosen, one is Navigation System Course which comprises all the subjects of the specialization for navigators endowed with high techniques of operation and control of ship. The other course is Information System Course which consists of the vocational subjects of the specialization for marine engineers of maritime industries according to learning maritime information techniques.
- Marine and Mechanical Engineering Department Program: Specializations - Power System Engineering; Marine Mechanical Engineering; and Marine Cybernetics. The objective is to educate students to become future marine engineers in the fields of operation and maintenance of ship's engine, research, design and manufacturing of marine energy system, marine robot, electronic control machine and the materials. The first and the second grade students study the fundamental subjects including the curriculum of ship's actual training. Third and fourth grade students are offered professional education who are divided into two courses by chosen, one is Engineering System Course and the other is Control System Course. The Engineering System Course has certain programs for study on ship's dynamic engine and its equipment and machinery system. The Control System Course offers the students with programs of control system for maritime plant and equipment containing ships.
- Logistics and Information Engineering Department Program: Specializations - Logistics Engineering; Logistics Information Systems Engineering; and Logistics Management and Economics. The Logistics Engineering presents the subjects on intermodal transport, and the Logistics Information Systems Engineering supplies to the students the subject on the information in relation to physical and commercial distribution. The Logistics Management and Economics offers the students with the subjects on the marketing and business administration that de-tail the economic subjects and policy on the international transportation systems. The objective of the Department is to educate students to become specialists ashore with broad outlook in the field of international physical and commercial distribution. The graduates are required to be endowed with international point of view even though the seafaring certificates are not authorized to the graduates of the Department.
- Master of Engineering in Maritime Technology and Logistics: This program provides education and research to materialize the safe operation of ships which are the main means of international cargo transportation by using advanced technology, to try to improve the efficiency of maritime transportation considering the conservation of marine environment and also to apply accumulated ship operation technology to new area such as the development of marine structures. In addition, the course analyzes logistics from a management and economic viewpoint as well as a social engineering viewpoint to understand the flow of products from production to consumption including surface, sea and air transportation, and carries out education and research on planning and design, operation management, and policy.
- Master of Marine Science in Marine Policy and Management: This program consists of two fields -the field of marine policy and the field of marine management. Both fields practice interdisciplinary education including natural science, social science and marine science technology through the study/research of comprehensive management and policy of ocean/coast such as marine environment, marine resources, maritime transportation and marine information. It trains students to devise policies to study, utilize and manage the marine conservation and the utilization of marine resources comprehensively and systematically and to play a role in creating/developing an international order concerning the ocean. Therefore, the course provides education and training based on international viewpoint while placing an emphasis on practical education such as case method and field training.