Maritime Cadetship; Nautical Studies; Marine Engineering; and Marine Electronics Training in Malaysia
Malaysian Maritime Academy (ALAM) was born out of a non-profit making body called MATES (Malaysian Training and Education for Seamen) Foundation, consisting of the Malaysian International Shipping Corporation Berhad (MISC Berhad), International Shipping Carriers Hong Kong, and the Malaysian Ministry of Transport as their main promoters, the foundation soon pioneered the Maritime Training Centre (MTC) in 1977.
ALAM's courses are structured to facilitate and equip students with competence beyond compliance and by working in collaboration with both local and international maritime-related organizations and institutions. ALAM creates a path heading towards a satisfying and assured career in the Malaysian and global maritime industry.
Academic & Training Programs
- Navigating Officer Cadet (Diploma in Nautical Studies)
- Marine Engineer Officer Cadet (Diploma in Marine Engineering)
- Nautical Program: Under this program the students are equipped with relevant background for offshore and onshore career opportunities. Scientific and basic maritime knowledge are initially introduced followed by theoretical studies in the subsequent academic year. The graduates of this program will be able to undertake the challenging careers on board ships and at a later stage, shore based positions such as ship masters, surveyors, superintendents, etc.
- Marine Engineering Program: The faculty conducts marine engineering courses for pre-sea and post-sea courses, both for foreign going and near coastal. It also offers short specific technical courses to the maritime industry. Students pursuing the Marine Engineering programs can graduate as competent sea going professionals and would eventually become Chief Engineers on board various types of ship worldwide.
- Maritime Studies Programs: The programs prepare the students to be competent in fulfilling the demanding roles required by the shore based maritime industries such as logistics, shipping agencies, ports, etc. The safety and operation programs are designed to supplement the knowledge and skills for the Deck and Marine Engineering Certificates of Competency.
- STCW95 Programs: These programs are specifically designed to supplement the knowledge and skills, in concepts, principles and techniques of personal survival, Fire prevention, Fire Fighting, First Aid and operational Tanker Safety for the Deck Certificates of Competency.
- Marine Electronic & Communication Programs: The Marine Electronic and Communication programs are designed mainly for personnel holding Deck Certificates of Competency, to supplement their knowledge and skills in concepts, principles and operation of Electronic Navigational aids and Global Maritime and Distress Signal System.
- Offshore Programs: The mandatory Basic Offshore Safety and Emergency Training is provided and is required for all personnel involved in offshore activities.
- Simulator Based Training: Full Mission Ship-handling Simulator; Full Mission Engine Room Simulator; and Liquid Cargo Operation Simulator.
- LNG Cargo Operations Program (Online): This program consists of the following courses - LNG Basics; LNG Equipment; LNG Supporting Systems; LNG Operations; LNG Commercial; and LNG Security.
These are programs sponsored by Local and International Shipping Companies; Government Agencies; Port Operators; Oil/Gas Companies; and Offshore oil and gas marine support vessels operators. Graduates may have the opportunity to sail worldwide with leading shipping companies / maritime companies with attractive tax-free salaries and employment benefits.