Maritime Product and System Design; Ship Design; Shipping & Logistics; and Maritime Education & Training
Established in 1994 by merger of three former colleges, Aalesund University College (AAUC) is a medium sized institution of higher education in Norway with more than 2000 students and located in Aalesund, theWestern part of Norway. AAUC offers a wide range of 3-year professional study programs and prepares students for future employment and careers within business management, engineering, health care, fisheries and maritime trade. In addition AAUC offers two master programs at present time.
The university college is uniting theoretical skills with closeness to each professional field. The curriculum is designed to enable students to develop both analytical and critical skills. Many courses have periods of practice where the students try out future professional roles. The academic activities at Aalesund University College are organized in five faculties: Health Sciences; International Marketing; Life Sciences; Engineering and Natural Sciences; and Maritime Technology and Operations.
Note: All bachelors programs are taught in Norwegian. There some courses available in English each semester. The masters programs are entirely taught in English.
- BSc in Nautical Studies (3 yrs plus 1 yr seagoing service - optional): Nautical studies consist of a combination of science courses, social studies and certificate-oriented courses. This provides a broad and relevant background for offshore as well as onshore professions. The students will acquire the qualifications required to obtain managerial positions offshore and onshore within maritime activities. The study provides the students with the theoretical education required by the Norwegian Maritime Directorate for the following internationally recognized certificates - Deck Officer Class 4 Certificate - Watchkeeping officer; Deck Officer Class 2 Certificate - Chief Mate; and Deck Officer Class 1 Certificate – Master. In addition to the theoretical foundation, further seagoing service is required for certification at the different levels as required by the STCW95 Convention.
- Bachelor of International Logistics (3 years): The Program in International Logistics is directed towards the competence needs within the export oriented industry. In the program you will study subjects like international economics, marketing research methods, transport economics, international financing, exchange rate determination, and EU/EØS-related problems.
- Bachelor program in Shipping and Logistics (3 years): The program combines maritime related courses with courses in logistics, economics and business management. The bachelor program is destined to qualify students for leading positions within shipping companies, transport firms, maritime industry, etc.
- Bachelor program in Ship Design
- Master of Product and System Design: The program focuses on the design of ship equipment and maritime systems. You will be challenged in developing new solutions that are safe, environmentally friendly and efficient. You will learn about advanced systems that include robots, cranes and winches used in deck solutions which address the complex interactions between operators. You will also concentrate on the maritime operations that the ship is performing, and you will be simulating these operations in order to design the required maritime systems in the most efficient way.
- Master of Ship Design: It is a great engineering challenge to design new ship systems that could turn shipping into the most efficient, safe and environmentally friendly means of transportation in the future. New ship design is typically in response to needs coming from new technologies, changes in the world politics, new strategies and lessons learned from previous ship development. During your second semester you choose one of the following majors - Ship Structural Design and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
- NI DPO Certificate
- DP Basic Course
- DP Induction Course
- DP Advanced Operators Course
- DP Simulator Course
- Position Reference System Course
- Training for AHO
- Training for PSV
- The basic entrance requirement includes one year of studies in academic subjects at university level. In addition, there are English language requirement and Norwegian language requirements (for degrees taught in Norwegian). Please check the programs catalog for more details
- 4-year Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, Marine Technology, Automobile Engineering or a documented equivalent.
- Documented English skills also required