Sailing and Boating - Recreation, Adventure, Learning & Career
Imagine a workplace where you can excel, earn well, and have fun without compromising your career objectives. You dream of getting out of the ‘regular’ job where you are stuck because you have to do a job to take care and feed yourself and family.
Have you ever considered an industry filled with “high” job satisfaction, adventure, physically and mentally challenging tasks, pays reasonably well and also give you enough time to enjoy that offseason vacation in another part of the world?
The leisure boating industry is very diverse with lot opportunities around the world. According to Persistence Market Reaserch report, North America accounts for the largest share in the global recreational boating market and, Italy, UK, Germany and France are some of the major recreational boating markets in Europe. The industry, which is as glamorous as the film industry, has been a place where you can discover your unknown talents, importance of teamwork & people skills, quick and responsible decision making, technical knowledge and the art and science of an exciting hobby, career or a job. This is a popular activity among all ages and groups.
Generally you specialize in a particular area and expand the experience and ability through education, training and practice. You must take a look at the industry as whole before deciding what you want to do and find what skills are needed for your chosen career. It is always advisable to develop a wide range of skills and have practical experience in each to succeed in the industry.
Boating Industry Segments
Major & Allied Segments
- Large luxury powerboats
- Sailing boats
- Narrow boats
- Personal watercraft such as jet skis
- Small wooden dinghies
Associated Equipment Segments
Associated Services Segments
- Watersports Center
Career Path in Boating
Education & Training
The opportunities for experienced trainers in the industry are very good.
- Instructors and Trainers
- Counselors and other staff
Boatbuilding and Maintenance
Boatbuilding is a specialized area and there are vocational programs available to get trained. Apprentice programs are also available where you get paid while learning.
- Boatbuilders (Wood, Glass or Fiber reinforced plastic, Steel) - Plumber
- Gas fitter
Electricals and Electronics
Boats and yachts have very sophisticated electrical and electronic systems. Skilled technicians are required to install, service, repair and upgrade. The demand is very high for people with right skills.
- Engine electrical systems
- Navigation & interior electrics
- Satellite navigation
- Communications equipment
Designers usually specialize in an area of boat and yacht design.
- Interior Layout and Styling.
- Small Dinghies
- Luxury Cruisers
Marinas are the place for berthing, mooring with dry storage facilities for yachts and boats. Marinas are generally located at the coast and on inland waterways. Some of the typical list of career paths includes:
- Marina managers
- Boat Handlers
- Security Staff
- Crane Operators
- Boat Repairers
- Retail Staff
- Finance & Accounting
- Human resources
- Public relations
RELATED SECTIONS WHERE YOU CAN FIND USEFUL INFORMATION
- The Boating Industry Education & Training in US & UK - A quick look at education and training opportunities available in these countries.
- Sailing Schools in the USA - In this section you could find a variety of ASA or US Sailing approved schools providing training and certification categorized into region and statewise.
- UK Sailing, Yacht & Watersports (RYA) Training - When you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you can find some schools providing RYA accredited programs in England, Scotland or Wales.
- Australia & New Zealand Boating, Sailing, Yachting and RYA Training - Some of the best schools or agencies in Australia and New Zealand providing Sailing & Yachting related courses and certifications.
- Occupational Map - Marine Leisure - The Maritime Skills Alliance sets and promotes skills standards for the UK’s maritime sector. You may find more about the occupations here.
- Boating Careers Guide - This guide is preprared by the Boating Industry Association, New South Wales, Australia