Energy Engineering, Merchant Navy and, Maritime Training in Isle of Lewis
Established in 1953, Lews Castle College has been educating the people of the Outer Hebrides and students from all over Scotland for over fifty years. The college originally was located in the historic Lews Castle and now in brand new campuses in the Isle of Lewis, as a part of the UHI, Scotland's newest higher education institute.
The college offers more than 30 Higher National Certificates, Higher National Diplomas, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and other higher education programs right up to PhD and has about 300 full-time students and over 2300 part-time and open learning students. The college also offers more than 200 evening classes throughout the Outer Hebrides.
The main campus of Lews Castle College (Colaisde a' Chaisteil) is situated in the Castle Grounds, overlooking Stornoway Harbor on the Isle of Lewis, in the Outer Hebrides (or the Western Isles) of Scotland. Stornoway is the principal town of the Western Isles and is home to fantastic sports facilities, a brilliant local arts centre and the internationally renowned Hebridean Celtic Festival.
- BEng (Hons) in Energy Engineering (4 years full-time, Part-time): You will explore both conventional energy systems and renewable energy technologies. You will also undertake an engineering project, which will showcase your skills and knowledge in solving an industry-related problem including marine energy to prospective employers.
Merchant Shipping Program
- Access to Merchant Navy Deck and Engineer Officer Training NQ (1 year, Full-time): The purpose of this training program is to provide candidates with these qualifications and help prepare them for a career at sea by providing them with additional basic skills and qualifications including Basic Sea Survival, Chartwork, First Aid, Health & Safety & Seamanship.
Short Marine Courses
- Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) - 5 days: The purpose of this marine training program is to prepare young people for a career at sea, at rating level, by providing them with the necessary basic skills and qualifications required by ship operators in the UK. Successful candidates are required to complete a further 12 months sea time before gaining Able Seaman status.
- Port Operatives Course: This four day course is designed to promote a program of training based on the National Occupational Standards for Port Operation or Supervision of Port Operations. It is delivered in conjunction with training provider and consultants Port Skills and Safety Ltd (PSS).
- GMDSS: Global Maritime Distress and Safety System - Short Range Certificate (2 days evening): The holder of this certificate is authorized to operate a VHF DSC and VHF- only radio telephone station established in a ship under a license issued by the Secretary of State.
- STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR) - 1 day: This course is a pre requisite for entry to the Merchant Navy. A certificate is issued by the college on the successful completion of the course on behalf of the Maritime Coastal Agency.
- STCW Elementary First Aid (1 day): The course is delivered by an approved certificated instructor and complies with the Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) and Sea Fish Industry Authority (SEAFISH) requirements for the issue of their certificates.
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST): This course is a pre requisite for entry to the Merchant Navy. A certificate is issued by the college on the successful completion of the course on behalf of the Maritime Coastal Agency.
- RYA Day Skipper - Shore based Course Certificate
- Radar RYA Certificate
- Check our RYA Section