Ports Technical, Management & Engineering Seminars in Belgium
Established in 1978 and affiliated to Port of Antwerp, Antwerp / Flanders Port Training Center (APEC) plays a central role in the transfer of port knowledge from Flanders to the world. With over 9,000 alumni in 140 countries, APEC provides Short-term, practical oriented interactive courses on wide range of port related topics. APEC is the cooperation between public and private port communities and offers rich expertise in the ports of Antwerp, Zeebrugge, Ghent and Ostend.
The training programs include 2 week management sessions and seminars on several port related topics. APEC also organizes study visits to various ports for groups ranging from half to 2 days duration. Some the seminars are available abroad as well.
Through its cooperation with the Flemish Community, the Directorate-General for Development Cooperation/Belgian Technical Cooperation (DGDC/BTC) and the Province of Antwerp, APEC has established a broad system of scholarships. The Flemish Community offers scholarships for the APEC programs to candidates from all of its partner countries worldwide.
Seminars (Two weeks)
- Port Management: The seminar on Port Management covers all essential aspects of modern management in the port.
- Port Security: The seminar on Port Security covers all essential aspects of security of ships, their cargo, the passengers and the port terminals.
- IT and EDI in Port Business: The seminar on IT & EDI in Port Business covers several aspects in the field of information and computer applications in current port operations.
- Legal Aspects on Port Operations and Trade (2 weeks): The program focuses on the aspects of international trade, international contracts and arbitration, the legal structure of a port area, the conflict of laws, the international conventions & application.
- Port Engineering: The seminar on Port Engineering is a specialized technical training course on several aspects of port planning, design, access, hydrodynamics, berthing, port infrastructure, dredging technology, environmental and safety aspects.
- Cold Chain Logistics: The primary aim of the proposed seminar is to give them a clear view of the specific role and the responsibilities of all actors in the value chain of perishables and show them how such flows can be managed and optimized.
- Container Terminal Management (2 weeks): The seminar on Container Terminal Management covers all essential theoretical and practical aspects of container terminal operations.
- Port Logistics: The seminar on Port Logistics is an integrated course on all aspects of modern logistics in relation to the maritime business.
- Dredging Technologies: This two week seminar covers all essential theoretical and practical aspects with regard to dredging such as: navigating in muddy areas, strategies for the dumping of dredged sediments, the various types of dredgers, dredger simulators, maintenance dredging, large scale projects, spoil recycling, maintenance of dredgers, construction of dredgers, technical aspects and new developments, technical renovation.
- Break Bulk Cargo: The seminar tackles the various aspects such as the role of shipping lines - shipping agents and forwarders, document flow, insurance, advantages and developments in port labor issues with regard to the handling of break bulk cargo, intermodal connections, choice and usage of equipment, customs, and organisation of a general cargo terminal.
- Port Environmental Policy & Technology: The seminar on Port Environmental Policy and Technology offers a specialized program on the growing importance of environmental issues and applied technologies in a port.
- Tasks and Responsibilities of Forwarders, Agencies and Shipping Lines: The seminar on Tasks and Responsibilities of Forwarders, Agencies and Shipping Lines is a practical course for professionals in the field of the above mentioned transport activities.
- Nautical Accessibility & Maritime Traffic Management: The following issues will be covered - role and responsibilities of the Agency for Maritime and Coastal Services and other parties involved, Traffic management and chain approach, Pilotage, Shipping Assistance Service and VTS, Coast guard, Coastal Safety Plan, Hydrography, Cartography, Beaconing, etc.
Scholarships offered by the Flemish Community: Candidates for the APEC-standard seminars from countries with bilateral framework agreements can apply for such a scholarship (3.000 EURO), covering the hotel costs, all meals, registration fee, documentation, local transport and insurance.
Scholarships of the Belgian Technical Cooperation (BTC): Each year, the Belgian Development Cooperation awards a number of scholarships to its partner countries worldwide.
Scholarships of the International Association of Ports and Harbors: Members of IAPH can receive financial assistance to attend an APEC seminar. Upon request you will receive the bursary scheme for IAPH member port staff in developing countries.