Change the Language
Boat Building and Woodworking Vocational Programs and Short Courses in Lyme Regis, UK
Founded in 1997, The Boat Building Academy is a not-for-profit company providing full-time, highly practical skills training with the emphasis on ‘hands-on’ learning. The Academy is an MoD approved provider of resettlement training, an approved Royal Yachting Association (RYA) training centre, on the provider’s list for Professional and Career Development Loans and a member of the British Marine Federation.
All courses are full-time and students work from 0830 to 1730, five days a week. Classes are under the direct supervision of at least one Instructor at all times during the working week. At least 90% of student’s time is spent in the workshop; classroom time is kept to a minimum. In addition to gaining expertise in the practice and underpinning theory of boat building and allied fields (e.g. woodworking skills) some students also have the opportunity to build their own boats as part of the 38 week course. Few places in the world offer this as part of an internationally recognized qualification.
The reputation of the Academy in the marine industry is such that the academy is regularly approached by companies who want to recruit people who can hit the ground running, have confidence in a wide range of practical skills and understand the theories of boat construction and finishing.
Boat Building Programs
- City & Guilds 2463 Level 3 Certificate in Boat Building, Maintenance and Support (38 weeks): The flagship, internationally recognised 38 week course in Boat Building, Maintenance and Support, incorporating City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Marine Construction, Systems Engineering and Maintenance (2463). The course content is much wider than required by City & Guilds, which is reflected by the additional award of a Boat Building Academy certificate. The course teaches students to build boats to professional standards across a range of construction types from modern and traditional wood to composites. Some students are offered the opportunity to build their own boats as part of the course. The course also covers restoration and repair. You do not have to want to work in the marine industry in order to join the course, but they teach to industry standards. Suitable for beginners as well as the more experienced.
- City & Guilds 6219 Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills (Carpentry and Joinery) Boat Building Academy Level 3 Certificate in Woodworking Skills incorporating Furniture Design and Making (Woodworking Skills - 12 weeks): An intensive and highly practical 12 week course suitable for complete beginners. The course has nothing to do with boats but is based on our tried and tested boat building training philosophy. This course is a solid foundation and training in wood working with a chance to design and produce a piece of furniture Students take a City & Guilds 6219 Level 1 Certificate in Basic Construction Skills, before deciding whether to undertake the Level 3 qualification or to concentrate on their personal project piece. The course and its Level 3 qualification are exclusive to the Boat Building Academy.
- Introduction to Woodworking (2 days)
- Basic Woodworking 1 (5 days)
- Basic Woodworking 2 (5 days)
- Basic Woodworking 3 (5 days)
- Antique Furniture Restoration (5 days)
Boat Building Courses
- Introduction to Boat Building (2 days)
- Build a Boat – Initial Set-up (5 days)
- Traditional Wooden Boat Building (5 days)
- Modern Wooden Boat Building (5 days)
- Wooden Boat Restoration (5 days)
- GRP Repairs (5 days)
- Renovation and Finishing (5 days)
- Rope Work (2 days)
- Sail Making (5 days)