Translate to Your Language
Marine Engineering & Naval Architecture, Boat Building Apprenticeship, Marine Carpentry Programs, and Logistics Apprenticeships in Plymouth
City College Plymouth is a partner college of the University of Plymouth and a tertiary institution and further education college in South West England. Number of full-time students at the college is approximately 4,202 with 14,245 part-time students. The College has received a number of national awards including National Training Award for Work-based Learning and Investors in People.
The two main sites are at the Goschen Centre in Keyham and the Kings Road Centre in Devonport, both in Plymouth, Devon. The City College Plymouth Marine Skills Centre is based close to the historic Royal Naval dockyard, in the heart of Plymouth’s local marine industry, and is a five minute walk from the College’s main campus at Kings Road.
Marine Engineering & Naval Architecture Programs
- Level 5 Foundation Degree in Marine Engineering (Plymouth University) (2 years full-time, 3 years part-time): This Foundation Degree in Marine Engineering awarded by Plymouth University will teach you these crucial skills as well as giving you an understanding of design concepts and engineering principles. You will also work on the managerial techniques required to be employed in this lucrative industry.
- Level 5 Foundation Degree in Naval Architecture (Plymouth University) (2 years full-time, 3 years part-time): The Foundation Degree in Naval Architecture at City College Plymouth will enable you to develop the necessary technical knowledge and skills required for entering the exciting world of ship and vessel design. The course has been designed to provide you with a wide breadth of knowledge to prepare you for the multi-disciplined elements of working in this industry.
- Level 4 HNC in Marine Engineering (Plymouth University) (2 years, part-time): HNC in Marine Engineering at City College Plymouth will provide you with the knowledge, skills and academic qualification to work as a marine engineer.
- Level 4 HNC in Naval Architecture (Plymouth University) (2 years, part-time): This course has been designed to develop your skills and knowledge within core subjects related to naval architecture such as maths, science and materials. Along with these essential topics, you will also study the managerial aspects of the industry to gain a recognized qualification.
Apprenticeship Program (Marine)
- Level 3 Apprenticeship - City & Guilds NVQ in Boat Building and Maintenance (4 years): The Boatbuilding Apprenticeship at City College Plymouth can train you for a career building boats. Acceptance on this Apprenticeship is via an initial assessment with the College’s Work-based Learning team. This program includes - Certificate in Boat Production Level 3, Certificate in Boat Construction Level 2, ICT level 2, plus more.
Marine Carpentry Program
- City & Guilds Level 1 Marine Carpentry and Fit Out (1 year, full-time): The study program is predominantly practical and you will gain a wide range of marine focused hand skills ranging from basic carpentry joints to cabin fit out processes. You will also learn laminating skills relating to marine industry applications.
Formal Qualification Recognition Programs
- Level 1 Certificate in Performing Engineering Operations, or NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Performing Manufacturing Operations (Marine) (1 year each part-time): This is ideally suited to both the experienced operator looking for a formal qualification recognizing their expertise, or someone new to the role who is following a training program in manufacturing operation.
Short Courses (Marine)
- Level 2 Boat Diesel Engine Maintenance (1 day): This one-day beginners’ course in boat diesel engine maintenance will help you prevent and solve diesel engine failure.
Warehousing & Logistics (Apprenticeships)
- NVQ Level 2 Apprenticeship in Warehousing and Storage (Distribution) (15 months, full-time): Upon successful completion of this recognized level 2 qualification, you may progress into advanced Apprenticeships in team leading, logistics operations driving goods vehicles, or warehousing and storage. You could also choose to go into a variety of jobs in the warehousing industry.
- City & Guilds NVQ Level 3 Apprenticeship in Logistics (1 year): This advanced Apprenticeship in Logistics at City College Plymouth is for you if you already have a role in logistics and you want to progress your skills, qualifications and experience all at the same time.