What is your Language? (Select to translate)
Marine Programs in Marine Technology, Systems & Engineering & Marine Apprenticeships in Marine Electrical & Engineering
Southampton City College is a further education college based in the south of England which provides exceptional vocational and academic training for young people and adults. As well as offering a wide range of vocational courses and qualifications for school leavers looking to get into university or work, City College Southampton also provides apprenticeships, training for businesses, short courses, adult learning, advanced qualifications and a City Horizons program to help young people get back into education, training or work.
City College’s Marine Skills Centre is at the forefront of making sure those employees, apprentices and future workers have the skills levels to compete in this highly-competitive global industry. With 1,000 sq.m at the centre itself and a further two sites in Southampton, the centre’s specialist range of bespoke training solutions and facilities are unequaled in the region and it plays a key role in the development of the UK’s marine sector.
Training covers skills from boat building to marine engineering, marine design to composites skills, computer studies, book keeping to leadership and management. This means a wide range of businesses can send their employees to be upskilled, apprentices can be given expert tuition and support with progression to university. Those entering the marine industry learn with the best equipment and facilities available from the best teachers.
Training & Apprenticeship Programs
Marine Programs (Full Time)
- Level 2 Diploma - Introduction to Marine Technology (1 year): This course will provide you with the skills and experience of using the latest marine technical processes. You will be taught in the dedicated woodworking and marine engineering workshops. You will learn - Ship joinery techniques, service and maintenance of marine mechanical devices, working in the marine industry, producing components from metal, and understanding technical drawings & documentation.
- Level 3 Diploma - Marine Systems & Engineering (1 year): This course will enable you to develop advanced skills in your chosen specialism - marine engineering or boat building to enter employment or progress your career in the marine industry.
- Intermediate Level 2 Marine Apprenticeship - Marine Engineering or Marine Electrical Pathway
- Advanced Level 3 Marine Apprenticeship - Marine Engineering or Marine Electrical Pathway
- As a marine apprentice you will mostly work under the supervision of others and undertake tasks such as boat handling, support, repair and outfitting. You will develop the practical skills and technical knowledge required to work as a professional and competent marine engineer or marine electrician. As an apprentice you can expect to undertake work based learning with an employer and to be paid a wage. The apprenticeship will include an NVQ diploma, functional skills and knowledge based element or technical certificate.
- No previous qualifications are required for Level 2 intermediate apprenticeship and a full assessment will take place to ensure you have the skills to complete the qualification.
- Those wishing to progress onto an advanced apprenticeship (Level 3) will require GCSEs A-C/9-4 in English and maths (or equivalent) or demonstrate, through the assessment process, that you are able to achieve this.