What is your Language? (Select to translate)
Apprenticeship Programs in Marine Engineering, Manufacturing Operations, Warehousing, and Logistics in Newport, Isle of Wight
Established in 1951, the Isle of Wight College is a general further education college (GFE) with a broad curriculum to reflect the needs of the island community. The main campus is sited in a central location on the outskirts of Newport, the county town of the Isle of Wight and the island's principal retail center. The Isle of Wight College achieved college-wide accreditation to the matrix Standard in June 2010 is part of its’ commitment to ‘Putting Students First’.
The College is the island's major provider of further education and training for some 8,000 learners and has built more accommodation over the past five years. It is also a Centre of Vocational Excellence (CoVE) in four areas; care, hospitality, marine engineering and early years.
For apprenticeship programs, you will attend The Isle of Wight College (Southampton College for Marine) on a day release one day per week for the underpinning knowledge and some practical input, and Maths and English if required. You will also be assessed and reviewed approximately every 4-8 weeks in the workplace by a member of the team.
Engineering Apprenticeships (Marine)
- Intermediate Apprenticeship - Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Performing Engineering Operations (18-24 months): This course is for anyone seeking employment in the field of Marine Engineering. You must choose a pathway and this is what you will work towards during your qualification. The course includes both theory and practical skills which are put into practice in the workplace. The usual progression from this course is the Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering or to full time employment in the aeronautical, manufacturing or marine industries.
- Advanced Apprenticeship - NVQ Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering Maintenance (24-36 Months): This Apprenticeship covers a range of job roles in these sub-categories. The Advanced Apprenticeship requires more academic work than the Intermediate to be completed alongside assessments which will require a higher level of competency and evidence. On completion of this qualification you may progress to full time employment in the workplace or to higher education such as Higher National Certificates/Diplomas.
Engineering Apprenticeships (Performing Manufacturing Operations)
- Intermediate Apprenticeship - Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Performing Manufacturing Operations (18-24 months): Performing Manufacturing Operations focuses on training apprentices to operate effectively in a manufacturing environment. Typical job roles include assembly operations of electrical and electronic products, vehicles, aerospace, marine, metal goods and production of molded products. The usual progression from this course is the Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering or to full time employment.
Warehousing Apprenticeships (Warehousing and Storage)
- Intermediate Apprenticeship - NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Warehousing and Storage (12-18 months): Learners involved in the movement and storage of goods can use this qualification to demonstrate the skills and knowledge needed for various logistics activities. This course is ideal for new or existing workers, particularly those with basic experience or understanding of the warehousing industry.
- Advanced Apprenticeship - NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Warehousing and Storage (18-24 Months): Learners involved in the receipt, storage and dispatch of goods can use this qualification to demonstrate the skills and knowledge needed for various team leading warehousing activities. This course is ideal for senior team members/warehouse operatives who wish to move to supervisory level. When you complete this Advanced Apprenticeship you will be able to progress to full time employment in a warehouse, often as part of a team, moving and storing different types of goods.
Logistics Apprenticeships (Logistics Operations)
- Advanced Apprenticeship - NVQ Level 3 in Logistic Operations (18-24 Months): Learners involved in the movement of goods can use this qualification to demonstrate the skills and knowledge needed for various team leading logistics activities. This course is ideal for existing workers, particularly those with experience or understanding of the logistics industry wishing to move into a team leader/section supervisor role. This apprenticeship prepares you for employment in supervisory/management positions in Logistical Operations.