Translate to Your Language
Boatmasters Licence, Maritime Studies & Rivers, Inland Waterways and Limited Distances to Sea Courses at NMTC, North Kent College
North West Kent College is a college of Further and Higher Education. The College runs a wide variety of academic and vocational courses for over 4,000 full-time students from two main campuses approximately 12 miles apart in Dartford and Gravesend. North West Kent is also a leading provider of maritime education and practical training. It is located at North West Kent College’s Gravesend and Thameside campuses.
The National Maritime Training Centre is a leading provider of maritime education and practical training, providing up to date equipment and expert training using dedicated specialist classrooms, a Fire Training Ground and Thameside Jetty. Located at North Kent College’s Gravesend and Thameside campuses, it provides flexible training opportunities for individuals and companies in the Maritime industry.
The facilities at Thameside include: a fully fitted Global Maritime and Safety System (GMDSS) suite with the latest communication system; a fully operational Fleet-77 satellite terminal, which is licensed as a Coast Guide Station (CGS); bridge and engine-room simulators, incorporating three interlinked bridges; and a comprehensively equipped medical care instructional facility.
Boatmasters' Licence and Maritime Studies
- National Boatmasters’ Licence (BML)
- Maritime Studies Qualification (MSQ) pathway - Rivers, Inland Waterways and Limited Distances to Sea
- Maritime Occupations Apprenticeship
- Following initial safety training candidates will return to the college for a series of four 2 week study phases spread over two years .The course will cover the syllabus and prepare you for the MCA exams leading to the issue of the Boatmasters’ Licence Tier 1 Level 2 and for those who choose the route, the completion of the Maritime. Studies Qualification awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
- Marine Engineering: During this course you will study subjects such as the running and control of vessel propulsion systems, different engine designs, combustion systems, cooling and lubrication, propulsion, auxiliary equipment, vessel construction and stability. In addition you will also learn about personal safety at sea, First Aid, Basic Fire fighting and in water survival techniques.
- Navigation and Manoeuvring: During this course of study you will be learning subjects such as rule of the road, signals, safe Navigation of rivers and waterways inc. river estuaries, Seamanship including knots bend and hitches, basic vessel construction and stability, mooring and anchoring, cargo handling, survival in water, basic Fire Fighting and First Aid.
Maritime Distance Learning
These courses have been operating since 1997, are accredited by North Kent College of Technology as professional development courses and are provided and managed through a partnership between the College and Lloyd's Maritime Academy and IBC Academy.
- Diploma in Crew Management
- Diploma in Marine Surveying
- Diploma in Small Craft Surveying
- Diploma in Ship Management
- Diploma in Ship Superintendency
- Diploma in Maritime Business Management
- Diploma in Marine Purchasing & Supply Management
- Diploma in Logistics Management
- Diploma in Port Management
- Diploma for the Ship Agent
- Diploma in Marine Investigation
Fire Fighting Courses
- STCW Advanced Fire Fighting
- STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
- STCW Combination Safety Course
- Basic Fire Awareness
First Aid and Medical Care Short Courses
- STCW Elementary First Aid
- STWC Medical First Aid
- STCW Medical Care On Board Ship
- STCW Medical Care Refresher
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- First Aid at Work
- First Aid at Work Refresher
- Bespoke courses
- Defibrillator and Oxygen Therapy Training
- Paediatric First Aid
- STCW Combination Basic Safety Course
Enclosed Space Courses
- Specialist Courses approved at Secretary of State level for the provision of an escape and rescue service to the UK and are subject to rigorous audits by the Health and Safety Executive.