Translate to Your Language
Marine, Superyacht & Surveying Vocational Distance Learning Programs
The MPI Group is a publishing, training and marketing company that has been involved in the marine industry since 1981. It was originally formed to publish the well respected ship repair, maintenance and conversion magazine Dry-dock which it does to this day. Since those early days it has produced a number of publications and organized many events. This has given the group an impressive list of contacts and a detailed knowledge of the industry.
Maritime Training Academy (MTA), the Education and Training department now has an ever increasing portfolio of Diploma courses recognised by the University of Portsmouth, which currently include Marine Engineering Surveying, Yacht and Small Craft Surveying, Marine Industry Surveying, Cargo Surveying and for the sailing world, Superyacht Operations. All courses are by distance learning.
The MPI Group and Maritime Services International have worked in partnership for over 10 years delivering industry recognized vocational distance learning diplomas to students within the marine industry. With strong connections within the marine industry all of the courses are written by industry experts and are continuously updated to keep up to date with industry changes and developments.
Distance Learning Programs
- Diploma in Boatyard and Marina Operations: The course covers all aspects of working in a boatyard or marina, whether it is from a small sailing yacht to container vessels. So from best practices to understanding the high risk operations such as hot works, it aims to give the student the understanding to operate across this sector.
- Diploma in Building your own Boat: This course is constructed to guide those dreams to fruition and further educate you on the intricacies involved with building your own boat. Incorporating aspects of the decision-making, management and construction processes, you will be a step closer to achieving your dreams of building your own vessel.
- Diploma in LNG Shipping: This course covers all the theoretical and practical aspects of the IMO LNG Training requirements and much more. The course will help debunk the safety fears that some have, and will assist those who wish to enter a very lucrative and rewarding career in the LNG Industry.
- Diploma in Marine Pilotage: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of the Marine Pilotage industry. You will engage with a range of topics such as various types of pilotage, ship handling and bridge management along with essential subjects such as pilotage law, port control and boarding emergencies.
- Diploma in Marine Salvage: This course is a practical guide to all the various aspects involved in a professional salvage scenario. It covers the major players in the worldwide salvage industry and links these with a concise summary of the legal and commercial aspects involved in today’s modern salvage environment whilst also looking at how salvage has evolved over the years.
- Diploma in Maritime Law: It covers a wide range of maritime law issues including salvage, towage and collision, carriage of goods by sea, international maritime conventions and employment at sea and health and safety. The course is not an academic test but more a study of the wide-ranging areas that encompass law that those working in the marine industry come across on a daily basis.
- Diploma in Maritime Security: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of the Maritime Security industry. You will engage with a range of challenging topics such as ISPS code, Passenger Vessel Security, Superyacht and Private Yacht Security. It will also cover preventative measures and security procedures as well as the actual event.
- Diploma in Port State Control: This Diploma, shaped by expert knowledge and first-hand experience, has been tailored to educate you on the fundamental components of Port State Control. From SOLAS to MARPOL, ISPS to ISM, this course will benefit the multitude of seafarers by educating you on the legal aspects of Port State Control and offering an insight into the work of a PSC Surveyor.
- Diploma in Shipbuilding and Ship Repair: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of Shipbuilding and Ship Repair. You will engage with a range of exciting and challenging topics such as the docking process, specifications and docking incidents and accidents, alongside essential subjects such as An Introduction to the Ship Building and Ship Repair industry, contracts and project management.
- Diploma in Ship Superintendency: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of Ship Superintendency. You will engage with a range of exciting and challenging topics such as Project Management, the ship life cycle and incident and emergency preparation and response.
- Diploma in Ship Surveying: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of Ship Surveying. Students engage with a range of exciting and challenging topics such as surveying the hull, safety and operational surveys and incident and accident investigation.
- Diploma in Superyacht Management: As a progression from our successful Diploma in Superyacht Operations, the Diploma in Superyacht Management has been developed. This course is specifically designed to cover the specialist knowledge required by those currently working in or making the transition to, the yacht management sector or its divisions.
- Diploma in Superyacht New Builds: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of Superyacht New Builds. Engaging with a range of exciting and challenging topics such as managing expectations, the build process, Changes and change orders and building the yacht along with essential subjects such as accountancy and payments, basic law and contract law for new building, documentation and project completion.
- Diploma in Superyacht Operations: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of Superyacht operations. Engaging with a range of exciting and challenging topics such as chartering, operational management, ISPS, personnel and interior management along with essential subjects such as accounting, legal aspects, insurance and repairs and maintenance.
- Diploma in Superyacht Refit: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your refit management skills. You will engage with a range of exciting and challenging topics such as basic law and contract law, Project Management and documentation along with essential subjects such as change orders, accountancy and project completion.
- Diploma in Yacht Brokerage: With this recognised diploma you will develop and strengthen your knowledge of the yacht brokerage industry and gain the skills necessary to excel in your brokerage career.
- Diploma in Yacht & Small Craft Surveying: With this Diploma you will develop and deepen your knowledge of Small Craft Surveying. Students engage with a range of exciting and challenging topics such as surveying GRP Yachts, Valuation surveys and sea trials along with essential subjects such as accounting, legal aspects and insurance.
- Conducting an Inclining Test
- Introduction to Port State Inspections
- Introduction to the ISM Code
- Introduction to the Superyacht Industry
- ISM Auditor Course
- Marine Cargo Surveying
- Marine Incident Investigation
- Maritime Emergency Preparation and Response
- Sails & Rigs
- Surveying Yacht and Small Craft Engines
- Annual MYBA Superyacht Brokers Seminar featuring analysis and round table discussions that include charter, yacht management and sales and purchase.