Translate to Your Language
Merchant Navy & Offshore Training, Cadet & Marine Engineering Programs, HND & HNC Nautical Programs, and Simulator & STCW Courses at B&FC Fleetwood Nautical Campus
Blackpool and The Fylde College (Fleetwood Nautical Campus) is a major provider of university education, with degrees validated by Lancaster University. The College offers further education degree courses and part time courses. The college has been designated as a National Beacon of Excellence and was recently re-accredited for the Charter Mark in recognition of the excellent service it provides to all its learners.
The centers in Fleetwood form a specialized Nautical campus, which teaches MCA-accredited courses for merchant seafarers and offshore workers. Fleetwood campus is recognized as one of the top nautical establishments in the country with a wide range of UK and overseas students. The School maintained excellent industry relations, from its long-standing links with the likes of Ship Safe Training Group and Clyde Marine to newer partnerships such as those with BAE Systems and the Nigerian Ports Authority.
Both Maritime Studies and Offshore are accredited to ISO 9000:2000. Courses are run to the highest standard with an impressive number of state-of-the-art resources which include a Transas full mission ship simulator with five bridges, a fire ground approved by the MCA and OPITO, seamanship centre and launching platform open to the sea, environmental tank and helicopter underwater escape trainer. The Fleetwood Nautical Campus has a worldwide reputation for excellence.
Maritime & Offshore Programs
Sponsored Merchant Navy Courses
- Foundation Degree Programs (Sponsored): The following programs are only available to students sponsored by a shipping company or cadet training provider due to the work-based learning modules, which should be completed on board ships.
- Marine Electrical and Electronics Engineering - Foundation Degree (3 years): The Foundation Degree Marine Electrical and Electronics Engineering program (B&FC Foundation Degree in Engineering) support a career at sea which, when coupled with additional vocational training, will support your eligibility for a career in the field of Marine Electrical and Electronics Engineering, such as that of an Electro-Technical Officer.
- Marine Engineering - Foundation Degree (3 years): The Foundation Degree in Marine Engineering (Lancaster University Foundation Degree in Engineering) will develop your skills and under pinning knowledge required for a career within the maritime industry through an employer focused program of study. The alignment to industry bodies will ensure you meet all the required Foundation Degree outcomes to support a career at sea which, when coupled with additional vocational training, will support your eligibility for a career as a Marine Engineering Officer.
- Nautical Science - Foundation Degree (3 years): Approved by the Merchant Navy Training Board, this B&FC Foundation Degree in Science is a three-year program and combines theoretical training with safety training and 12 months sea-going time, leading to the award of Officer of the Watch (OOW) Certificate of Competency (CoC).
- Deck Shipping and Maritime Operations - Level 3 (27 weeks): This qualification is considered as an entry qualification for wide variety of maritime employment.
- Deck Shipping and Maritime Operations - Level 3 (22 weeks): The Level 3 Diploma in Shipping and Maritime Operations is for anyone wanting to progress to an officer role within the Merchant Navy.
- Engineering Shipping and Maritime Operations - Level 3 (27 weeks): This qualification is considered as an entry qualification for wide variety of marine engineering and maritime employment.
- Engineering Shipping and Maritime Operations - Level 3 (22 weeks): This course provides the skills, knowledge and experience to become an engineering officer in the Merchant Navy, or to pursue various maritime/engineering opportunities, at sea and ashore.
HNC and HND (Blended Learning)
- Chief Mate Unlimited (5 years): The course, when combined with certain professional qualifications, will entitle you to apply for a chief mate unlimited CoC; it provides the required knowledge, skills and experience for eventual seagoing employment as a Chief Officer in the Merchant Navy.
- Nautical Science - HNC (1 year): The course, when combined with the required STCW short courses and other MCA requirements, will entitle you to apply for an OOW-Unlimited Certificate of Competency.
- Nautical Science - HND (1 year): The HND Nautical Science program will provide you with the skills and knowledge required for a career within the maritime industry as a deck officer. The alignment to industry bodies will ensure you meet all the required Nautical Science outcomes to support a career at sea which, when coupled with additional vocational training, will support your eligibility for a career in the field of as a chief mate within the Maritime industry.
- Officer of The Watch Unlimited (5 years): HNC qualification leads to a UK Certificate of Competency (CoC). Those issued by Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) must be completed in an MCA approved training centre if they are being used towards gaining a CoC. Fleetwood Nautical Campus currently offers the Higher National Certificate in Nautical Science by Blended Learning to students who are overseas, work full time or prefer to study in a flexible mode.
Merchant Navy Deck Courses
- Cadets - HND NSc Top Up
- Chief Mate Orals Preparation
- Chief Mate Orals Preparation - 2 Weeks
- Chief Mate Orals Preparation - 4 Weeks
- Chief Mate SQA Exam
- Chief Mate SQA Exam Support 5wk
- HND to Chief Mate - 1 Term
- HND to Chief Mate - 2 Terms
- Liquid Cargo Handling
- Masters Orals
- Officer of the Watch Deck (Unlimited) - HNC
- OOW Orals Preparation (Deck)
- OOW Orals Preparation (Engine)
- OOW SQA Exam
- Merchant Navy Engineering Courses
- Marine Engineering - HND
- Officer of the Watch Engineering - HNC
- Orals preparation course (Second and Chief Engineers) - Engineering Management
- Tanker Oil Specialization
- Written Exam Preparation course (Second an Chief Engineers) Engineering Management
- Advanced Fire Fighting Updating
- Basic Training for Seafarers
- Certificate in Proficiency Survival Craft and RB
- Designated Security Duties
- Efficient Deck Hand
- Elementary First Aid
- Fire Prevention And Firefighting
- Fire Prevention and Firefighting Updating
- FRB Updating
- GMDSS (GOC)
- HELM M
- High Voltage (Management)
- Medical Care Aboard Ship
- Medical First Aid - 4 Day
- NAEST M
- NAEST O
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats
- PSC and RB Updating
- PST Updating
- Tanker Fire Fighting
- Training in Advanced Fire Fighting
- VTS Induction Course
- VTS Operator Simulator Course
- VTS Refresher
- Combined Basic Offshore Safety Induction Emergency Training with EBS & CA-EBS (BOSIET)
- Combined Further Offshore Emergency Training with EBS & CA-EBS (FOET)
- Euro 3-Day Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training
- Euro Refresher One Day
- Euro Upgrade
- Further Coxwains Training
- Minimum Industry Safety Training
- Offshore Lifeboat Coxswains
- OPITO HUET EBS / CA-EBS
GWO Renewables Courses
- Fire Awareness
- Fire Awareness Refresher
- First Aid
- First Aid Refresher
- Manual Handling
- Manual Handling Refresher
- Survival Refresher
- Working at Height
- Working at Height (Refresher - 1 Day)
Confined Space Courses
- Working with Confined Spaces - Emergency Rescue and Recovery of Casualties
- Working with Confined Spaces - High Risk
- Working with Confined Spaces - High Risk, Rescue and Recovery
- Working with Confined Spaces - Low Risk
- Working with Confined Spaces - Medium Risk
Health and Safety and First Aid Courses
- Emergency First Aid
- First Aid at Work
- First Aid at Work - Qualsafe (Annual Refresher)
- First Aid at Work Refresher
- IOSH Managing Safely
- IOSH Working Safely