Translate to Your Language
Deck, Engineer, and Electro-Technical Officers Sponsored Education, Training and Career Opportunities & Maritime Training Solutions for Seafarers in Southampton and Glasgow.
Clyde Marine Training (CMT) is part of The Clyde Group based in Glasgow, Scotland and the group offers the services to both the marine and corporate sectors. Founded in 1986, Clyde Marine Training has grown to be the largest maritime training provider in the UK recruiting approximately 50% of the annual Trainee Officer intake for the British Merchant Navy today. Clyde Marine has ISO 9001 – 2008 Lloyds Register Quality Assurance Accreditation. It is also Corporate Marine Partner to the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST).IMarEST).
Clyde Marine Training has contracts with over 50 shipping companies to interview and select well motivated young people on their behalf and oversee their progress during their training. The company has approximately 900 trainees within the system, undergoing training in colleges and universities in NAFC Marine Centre (Shetland School of Nautical Studies), City of Glasgow College (formerly Glasgow Nautical College), South Tyneside Colleges (South Shields Marine School), Fleetwood Nautical Campus (Part of Blackpool and the Fylde College), LJMU Maritime Centre (formerly LJMU Lairdside Maritime Centre), Warsash Maritime Academy (of Southampton Solent University), and University of Plymouth. Everyone accepted for training will be sponsored by one of the client companies. Wherever possible, these Ship Owners and Managers will aim to offer full time employment, on successful completion of the training program.
The Clyde Training Solutions, the training arm at Clyde Group, provides mandatory and industry enhancing offshore, oil & gas and maritime training courses and is only one of its kind in Central and Lowland Scotland. The centre offers basic to advanced courses for both marine and oil & gas sectors and is certified to deliver full STCW, MCA and offshore approved and mandated courses.
Education & Training Programs
UK Merchant Navy Officer Training / Apprenticeships
Undergraduate Level Programs
- HNC / HND or Foundation Degree / Professional Diploma - Deck Officer: Each program is divided into 5 phases with 3 college phases and 2 seagoing phases. All Deck Trainees will study towards: A Certificate of Competency as a Deck Officer of the Watch (OOW); HNC/D or Foundation Degree or Scottish Equivalent Professional Diploma in Nautical Science; and Completion of their MNTB Training Record Book during allocated sea time. If you hold 4 Standard Grades / National 5s / GCSEs at grade 3 or above, including English, Maths and a Science based subject, you could study on the HNC/D course.
- HNC / HND or Foundation Degree/ Professional Diploma - Engineer Officer: Each program is divided into 5 phases with 3 college phases and 2 seagoing phases. All Engineer Trainees will study towards: A Certificate of Competency as an Engineer Officer of the Watch (EOOW); HNC/D or Foundation Degree or Scottish Equivalent Professional Diploma or Postgraduate qualification in Marine Engineering; and Completion of their MNTB Training Record Book during allocated sea time. If you hold 4 Standard Grades / National 5s / GCSEs at grade 3 or above, including English, Maths and a Science based subject, you could study on the HNC/D course.
- Foundation Degree - Electro-Technical Officer: The program is divided into 5 phases with 3 college phases and 2 seagoing phases. All ETO Trainees will study towards - A Certificate of Competency as Electro-Technical Officer; A Foundation Degree in Marine Electrical / Electronics; Completion of their MNTB Training Record Book during allocated sea time; A GMDSS Radio Maintenance Certificate; and An Electronic Navigation Equipment Maintenance Certificate. If you hold at least 48 UCAS points from Highers or A-Levels including Maths and/or Physics, plus the above Standard Grades / National 5s / GCSEs you could start on the Professional Diploma/Foundation Degree course.
Postgraduate Level Programs
- Postgraduate course - Engineer Officer: If you are already a mechanical engineering graduate or are a time served Engineer, you could commence on a Postgraduate course. Due to your knowledge already gained in engineering university level study would not be required again. The program is divided into 3 phases with 2 college phases and 1 seagoing phase. Programs culminate with preparation work for MCA Oral Examination and advanced safety courses.
STCW 2010 Approved Maritime Training
- Advanced Fire Fighting (4 days)
- Basic Safety Training (5 days)
- Crisis Management & Human Behavior (1 day)
- Crowd Management on Passenger Ships (1/2 day)
- Elementary First Aid (EFA) (1 day)
- Fire Fighting & Fire Prevention (2.5 days)
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities (1/2 day)
- Personal Survival Techniques (PST) (1 day)
- Proficiency for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (1 day)
- Proficiency for Ship Security Officer (3 days)
- Revalidation Training Route 1 (block) (3 days)
- Tanker Fire Fighting (1/2 day)
- Updated Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats Route 1 (1/2 day)
- Updated Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting Route 1 (1/2 day)
- Updated Proficiency in Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (1 day)
- Updated Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques (PST) (1/2 day)
OPITO Offshore Training Courses
- BOSIET Training with CA-EBS and EBS (3 days)
- Escape Chute Training (1/2 day)
- FOET training with CA-EBS (Compressed Air Emergency Breathing System) (1 day)
- HUET training with CA-EBS and EBS (1 day)
- MIST (Minimum Industry Safety Training Standard) (2 days)
- OPITO Further Offshore Emergency Response Team Member (FOERTM) (1.5 days)
- OPITO Offshore Emergency Response Team Member (OERTM) (5 days)