Change the Language
New Starters Courses; Qualifications for Seafarers, Certificates of Competency; Offshore Safety & VTS Courses; and Professional Development at STC South Shields Marine School
South Tyneside College (STC) is a large further education college in South Tyneside in North East England, with its main sites in the towns of South Shields and Hebburn. The college offers part-time and full-time courses for both young students and adults alike. The college is one of the largest MCA approved merchant navy training colleges in the United Kingdom, and attracts studentsall over the world.
The courses cover the whole spectrum of marine education including navigation, operations, mechanical and electrical engineering, communications and catering. The college provides training for cadets and trainees through to senior officer certification and degrees and also offers a diverse range of short courses for the marine, offshore and leisure markets. These include Royal Yachting Association (RYA) courses and OPITO approved Offshore Survival training.
The facilities at STC’s Marine School (South Shields Marine School) includes: World class Marine Simulation Department containing two 360 degree full-mission bridges and 12 other integrated bridges; An integrated full-mission engine room and associated engine workstation rooms. The Department also houses an extensive VTS simulator system and fully equipped Navigation Aid Laboratory; A Marine Safety Training Centre which provides realistic survival training in the environmental pool, helicopter escape module and jetty with survival training craft; A Fire Training Centre with a full-sized smoke chamber; Extensive Marine Workshops and Laboratories; and A large Marine Learning Centre for the sole use of marine students.
South Tyneside College conducts training approved by Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and the Top-up programs are validated by Northumbria University.
Academic & Training Programs
New Starters - Pre Cadetship
- Level 2 Pre-Cadetship (Diploma in Engineering) (1 year)
- Level 3 Pre-Cadetship (Diploma in Shipping and Maritime Operations) (1 year)
- The Pre-Cadetship program is offered in both engineering and nautical (deck) pathways. The program is intended for those eventually seeking a cadetship with a sponsoring company but who have yet to secure a place. The program provides the knowledge and competencies required to be successful in securing a full cadetship. Students will develop the variety of skills through visits, classroom learning and practical sessions, and be encouraged to grow fully as individuals and develop excellent interpersonal and communication skills. They study for one year on a full-time program, and then progress on to the next level or into sponsorship.
New Starters (Engine) - Cadet
- Foundation Degree in Marine Engineering (3 years): Validated by Northumbria University. This program is a three year sandwich course that has been designed to enable marine cadets to achieve the academic standard necessary for the qualification of Engineer Officer of the Watch.
- Foundation Degree in Marine Electrical / Electronics (3 years): Validated by Northumbria University. This program is a three year sandwich course that has been designed to enable marine cadets to achieve the academic standard necessary for the qualification of STCW approved certificate as Electro-technical Officer (Operational).
- HNC in Marine Engineering: The course is validated by Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA). The course has been designed as part of the MNTB cadetship scheme.
- HND in Marine Engineering: Validated by Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA), the course is full time over 2 years, or, as part of approved MNTB cadet scheme, part time over 30 months.
New Starters (Marine Operations) - Cadet
- Foundation Degree in Marine Operations (Merchant Navy Deck Officer Trainee Scheme) (Approx 3 years): All students are employed or sponsored by shipping companies and the first step is to apply to companies which are recruiting. The program is divided into different phase where the recruits will study and train at sea alternatively.
- Merchant Navy Deck Officer Trainee Scheme (Approx 3 years): If you join as a cadet, you'll be sponsored by a shipping company. Shipping companies recruit suitable candidates as potential deck or engineering officers. They will support you through your training and pay you a salary or allowance during the training period. This program includes HND in Marine Engineering qualification.
Qualifications / Degree for Experienced Seafarers
- SQA L2 Awd in Maritime Studies / SQA Awd Maritime Studies Watch Deck Rating L2: These qualification are suitable for people who are working in the Maritime sector as watch rating, able seafarer, tug/hand rating; or as a crew member on large yachts.
- SQA Chief Mate HND Nautical Science: This course covers all the material for Chief Mate/Master written examinations (previously Class II/1). It is your responsibility to ensure that all the entry requirements for the course and entry to the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) examinations are met prior to attending the course.
- SQA Chief Mate Blended Learning HND Nautical Science: A distance learning program for students unable to attend full time at the College.
- SQA Chief Mate HND Nautical Science (DLP): This program is for overseas students who do not have sufficeint Visa time left to attend the Long HND program.
- BEng and BEng (Hons) in Marine Engineering: STC offers a B Eng and B Eng (Hons) degree in Marine Engineering, validated by Northumbria University. This program is a top-up degree course that has been designed to enable certificated marine engineers to achieve the academic standard of a degree qualification.
Certificates of Competency - Marine Operations
- Officer of the Watch (OOW) including HNC
Deck Officer Courses
- GMDSS General Operator (2 weeks)
- Ice Navigation
- Operational use of ECDIS (MCA Approved)
- Navigation Aids, Equipment and Simulator Training (NAEST) - Operational Level (MCA Approved)
Chief Mate Courses
- Chief Mate Orals Resit Prep
- Chief Mate SQA Revision (4 Weeks)
- Chief Mates (Post Foundation Degree route) STCW AII/2
- HELM Management
- Chief Mate/Master Limited Orals D
- Navigation Aids, Equipment and Simulator Training (NAEST) - Management Level (MCA Approved)
- Masters (Orals Only)
Certificates of Competency - Engine
Chief and Second Engineer - Management Level III/2 Courses
- Certificate of Competency - Management Level III/2 - Engineering Knowledge Only
- Certificate of Competency - Management Level III/2
- MCA Engineering Officer of the Watch III/1
- Certificates of Competency – ETO
- Short Courses for Experienced Electro Technical Officer Certificate of Competency: ETO CoC
- Basic Tanker Safety for oil, chemical and gas tanker operations - External
- Helm Management
- Helm Operational
- Small Ships Navigation and Radar
- Advanced Oil Tanker Cargo Operations (MCA Approved)
Professional Development Courses
- Abrasive Wheels Regulations
- Advanced Gas Tanker Training (MCA Approved)
- AMERC Electronic Principles and Applications
- HELM Wrightway
- Diesel Electric Propulsion
- Electronic Navigation Equipment Maintenance (ENEM) (MCA Approved)
- GMDSS Radio Maintenance
- Marine Electrical Maintenance
- High Voltage Training - Management Level (MCA Approved)
- Offshore Bridge Simulator
- Navigation Skills Assessment Program
- Pilot Training and Assessment
- Ship Handling
- Advanced Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations (MCA Approved)
Marine Offshore Safety Training - Offshore
- Compressed Air Emergency Breathing System
- Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET) with Compressed Air Emergency Breathing System (CA-EBS)
- Further Offshore Emergency Training (FOET) with Compressed Air Emergency Breathing System (CA-EBS)
- UK Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET) with Compressed Air Emergency Breathing System
- Minimum Industry Safety Training (MIST)
- Renewable UK/GWO Marine Safety Training
Marine Offshore Safety Training - Merchant Navy
- Designated Security Duties
- Proficiency in Security Awareness
- Efficient Deckhand (MCA Approved)
- MCA Personal Safety & Social Responsibility
- Elementary First Aid (EFA) (MCA Approved)
- Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
- Medical First Aid Onboard Ship (MCA Approved)
- MNTB Enclosed Space Entry
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Ship Security Officer
- Tanker Fire Fighting (5 hour)
- MCA PSC & RB
- Advanced Firefighting
- MCA STCW Medical Care Aboard Ship L4
- MCA STCW Medical Care Refresher L4
- Advanced Fire Fighting Refresher (Route 1)
- Advanced Fire Fighting Refresher (Route 2)
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting, updating training (Refresher Training)
- Personal Survival Techniques updating training (Refresher Training)
- PSC & RB Refresher (Route 1)
- PSC & RB Refresher (Route 2)
Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) Courses
- VTS Induction/Underpinning Knowledge (V-103/1) (VTS Theory)
- VTS Nautical Knowledge (Module 4 of IALA V-103/1)
- VTS On-Job Training (OJT) Instructor Course - IALA V-103/4
- VTS Operators (Simulator) IALA-103/1
- VTS Radar/ARPA
- VTS Refresher V103/5
- VTS Supervisor Advancement Training - IALA V-103/2
- VTS VHF Radio