Online Maritime Operations & Advanced Navigation Meteorology Education and MetOcean Training
Established by IMarEST in 2014, MLA College provides distance learning degrees and higher education qualifications in Partnership with Plymouth University. You can study whenever and wherever you want through the distance learning technology. Whether you are at sea, or in a full-time job, you can gain the qualifications you need to advance your career. These types of qualifications can also contribute to your development in ultimately reaching Chartered status.
In the UK, Plymouth has a strong record of excellence, enterprise and innovation across its teaching, learning and research activities. Plymouth is ranked within the top 50 research universities in the UK and one of the top 10 modern UK universities as detailed in the Times Higher Top 100 Under 50 world rankings.
Work-Based Learning (WBL) / Work Related Learning (WRL), in its various forms, are one of the major defining characteristics of the courses. It plays a central role in enabling you to apply academic study to workplace environments and problems. In turn, your program of study should enable you to integrate knowledge and skills developed in WBL / WRL into your project work and study in taught modules.
Education & Training Programs
Access & Degree Programs
- Sustainable Maritime Operations Access Course (Online - 8 week module): It is a short introductory module that aims to give an overview of the breadth of today’s offshore and maritime operations for those keen to learn more, or planning to enter the industry. This course consists of 12 x twenty minute video lectures and is delivered by fully tutor supported technology-enhanced distance learning. This course can fit flexibly around your work and life commitments.
- BSc Sustainable Maritime Operations (Online - 18 months): This qualification is aimed at those wish to gain a full Bachelor’s degree, possibly upgrading from another previous achievement, e.g. Foundation degree. It will particularly suit those with a professional experience in the maritime world or an academic interest in the subject. Entry requirements include an equivalent to year two of a British degree in a relevant subject or Portfolio accreditation of Accredited Prior Learning (APL) and relevant work experience.
- MSc Sustainable Maritime Operations (Online - 2.5 years): This postgraduate qualification combines the skills of critical thinking, analysis and communication required by a senior manager with an academic examination and appreciation of the important strategic and technological issues in today’s maritime industry. Entry requirements include normally a Bachelor’s degree (e.g. BSc) however; other prior learning and particularly significant professional experience can be considered by the Admissions Tutor.
- MSc Advanced Meteorology for Professionals & MSc Advanced Navigation for Professionals (Online - 1 year): This qualification is available for industry professionals who have a postgraduate award already but wish to upgrade this to a full Masters. This can be achieved simply by the completion of a short period of distance learning study in Applied Research Methods and a workplace focused research project in an appropriate area. Entry Requirements include a postgraduate qualification such as PG Diploma but will depend on the applicant’s existing qualifications and professional experience. Flexibility exists to be considered by the Admissions Tutor, for example membership of professional bodies such as IMarEST will count favorably.
- MetOcean Training Course (Online - 35 hours): Gain understanding of weather, tides and waves applied to real-world operational planning.