Maritime Business, Shipping & Transport, Marine Engineering, Maritime Operations and, Merchant Navy Programs at Solent and WMA
Established in 2005, Southampton Solent University is a public university based in Southampton on the south coast of England in the UK and the second campus, Warsash Maritime Academy (WMA) and Warsash Superyacht Academy (WSA) is located on the eastern bank of the Hamble River overlooking Southampton Water. Incorporated as an independent higher education institution in 1989, the University traces its origins back in 1856. With over 18,000 students, Solent University scored three stars overall in 2017 QS World University Rankings and scored five stars each for teaching and inclusivity with four stars each for facilities and employability.
The Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering specializes in maritime business, yacht design and engineering. Southampton Solent university's maritime courses have been ranked among the best in the world. The university conducts undergraduate and post graduate level courses on Maritime Business, Supply chain management, Logistics and Maritime law.
The Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering facilities include Acoustics Laboratory, Advanced Manufacturing Laboratory, Fire School, Helicopter Underwater Escape Trainer, Liquid Cargo Operations Simulator (LICOS), Marine Engineering Workshops, Medical Training Center, Pier head and survival craft, Radio communications center, Seamanship center, Survey vessel, Towing tank, shiphandling center, to name a few.
Academic & Training Programs
Merchant Navy Foundation Degree Programs
- FdEng in Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering (2 years): This course will lead you to employment as a certified watchkeeping marine electro-technical officer on board a commercial (merchant) ship. This fully-sponsored training program is a must for those who wish to become a marine electro-technical officer in the Merchant Navy.
- FdEng in Marine Engineering (2 years): This program will lead you to employment as a certified watchkeeping engineering officer on board a commercial (merchant) ship. This fully-sponsored training program is a must for those who wish to become a marine engineer officer in the Merchant Navy.
- FdSc Marine Operations (2 years): This program will lead you to employment as a certified bridge watchkeeping officer on board a commercial (merchant) ship. This fully-sponsored training program is a must for those who wish to become a deck officer in the Merchant Navy.
Maritime Bachelor Degree Top-Up Programs
- BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management (Top-Up, 2 years blended): The marine engineering management blended learning top up will enable seagoing and shore-based engineering personnel to enhance existing qualifications and develop into the marine engineering managers of the future. The course is aimed specifically at those who have completed the foundation degree or HND in marine engineering or the foundation degree in marine electro-technology.
- BSc (Hons) Marine Operations Management (Top-Up, 1 year blended): This course will broaden career opportunities for those already working within the maritime industry and enhance prospects within a diverse selection of careers. It will help develop the technical, personal and managerial qualities required of a ship's officer and a senior maritime manager ashore. This course is aimed specifically at those who have completed the foundation degree in marine operations or HND in nautical science, this blended learning course allows for these qualifications to be upgraded to a full hons degree.
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Management (Top-Up, 1 year blended): This one-year top-up degree aims to fill the gap of knowledge of business and management practice amongst professional seafarers and produce graduates who are highly employable for their knowledge of both shipping and the maritime business. The course will suit serving seafarers who wish to enhance their academic and professional qualifications and who are looking to pursue shore-side career opportunities in the near future.
Full Time Bachelor Degree Programs
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business (3 years): Those keen to pursue a career in the global maritime and shipping industry will benefit from this course. All aspects of business in a maritime context are covered, which will appeal to those wishing to work in ship management, ship finance or brokering, maritime law or logistics and supply chain management. This program is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT).
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Transport and International Logistics (3 years): This course is ideal for those interested in pursuing a career in logistics, particularly within the global shipping industry. The course will suit those with a good commercial acumen, as there is a strong business, finance and law aspect to the core units.
- BSc (Hons) Shipping and Port Management (3 years): This course is well-suited to those who wish to work in shore-side operations within the global shipping and maritime industry. The course content is ideal for those who wish to gain broad business knowledge whilst specializing in shipping and port operations.
Full Time Postgraduate Degree Programs
- MSc International Maritime Business (1 year full time): This Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) accredited course will enable maritime professionals or recent maritime or shipping graduates to progress their career or diversify into ship management or port operations/management.
- MBA International Maritime Management (1 year full time): The course combines traditional MBA content with focused elements unique to the world of shipping and maritime business. This program aims to develop and enhance the skills and knowledge of junior managers who have some experience of the maritime and shipping industry, in order to help them achieve their full potential and to become future leaders of the industry.
- MSc International Shipping and Logistics (1 year full time): This master’s degree is suited to maritime professionals who wish to progress their shipping and logistics career, or for those with a business background who are looking to move into the global shipping or logistics industries.
Distance Learning Postgraduate Degree Programs
- MSc Shipping Operations (2 years): This master’s degree is aimed at maritime professionals who wish to move into shore-based management roles. The distance learning delivery of the course also makes it ideal for currently serving seafarers to study wherever they are in the world and whenever they are able to.
Merchant Navy & Maritime Training
- Please check our Warsash Maritime Academy (WMA) section
Superyacht Training Programs
- Please check our Warsash Superyacht Academy (WSA) section