Marina Training and Certifications for Marina Managers, Operators and Professionals in UK and Worldwide
Established in 2011, the Global Marina Institute (GMI) is a partnership between British Marine (UK) and Marina Industries Association (Australia) to deliver global marina training and certification for increasing standards in Marinas across the world. The two organizations work together to maintain existing certifications and to develop new certification pathways and training courses to meet the needs of both existing and new marinas around the World.
British Marine is the trade association for the leisure, superyacht and small commercial marine industry in UK and the members come from over 4,200 businesses from leisure, superyacht and small commercial marine markets. Marina Industries Association (MIA) is the peak industry body in Australia for the Owners, Managers and Operators of Marinas, Slipways, Boatyards, Berthing, Mooring and other marine Storage Facilities and Sailing and Cruising Boating Clubs.
GMI through its partners delivers a range of courses for those working or looking to work in the Marinas industry with the aim that all Marina staff can access education, training and certification. GMI courses are endorsed by the International Council of Marine Industry Associations. GMI offer a number of pathways for certification which are designed to recognize outstanding professionals in the Marina industry. All of the certification pathways are awarded after a rigorous process where candidates are asked to demonstrate knowledge, skills and experience in their chosen field. The GMI certifications are recognized across the world.
Training Locations: UK (by British Marine), Australia (by Marina Industries Association) and Asia Pacific
Training & Certification Programs
GMI Training Programs
- Intermediate Marina Management (IMM): This residential intermediate course is designed to provide marina personnel in a leadership position with fast-track training in the critical issues in marinas. It is aimed at managers, supervisors and foremen who have had at least one full year of experience working at this level.
- Advanced Marina Management (AMM): The AMM program is a profit-management training course designed for senior marina professionals. Through interactive workshops and specific case studies, the AMM course examines such topics as profit-centre management, regulations and permitting, operations, marina law, human-resource management, risk management and loss control, improving the quality and value of services, policy and procedure manuals, business strategy and financial management, marketing, promotion, and pricing.
- Marina Operatives UK Program: This is a modular program specifically designed with the requirements of a modern marina in mind. It will enable marina staff members to train in all areas of the business on-the-job. The candidate will work through a series of modules in the course workbook, covering areas such as Customer Care, Marina and Plant Maintenance, Berthing Administration, Boat Handling and Safety.
- Marinas 101: This one-day course is designed for those who are contemplating or have recently commenced, a career in the marina industry and are seeking to broaden their understanding of marinas and the fundamentals of marina management and operations.
GMI Certification Programs
- Certified Marina Manager (CMM): This internationally recognized designation is a major step toward international recognition as a senior marina manager who has distinguished himself or herself as an outstanding professional.
- Certified Marina Operator (CMO): The CMO designation holders have at least 3 years Marina Manager experience managing a small marina facility (under 100 vessels). This internationally recognized designation is the assurance that your future can be both financially and professionally rewarding and distinguishes you as an outstanding marina professional.
- Certified Marina Professional (CMP): This is a certification for those working in the Marina Industry but not directly managing a Marina. A minimum of 5 years managerial experience with the last five years up until the time of this application being within the marina industry including yacht clubs.
LAST UPDATED ON Mar 7, 2019