Translate to Your Language
MCA/RYA/PYA Approved Yacht, Hospitality, Engineering, Watersports & Other Maritime Training in Cowes, Isle of Wight
UK Sailing Academy (UKSA) is a charity dedicated to changing lives through personal development and maritime education. UKSA aspires to provide the very best quality maritime education and the widest range of opportunities to develop self-esteem, confidence and motivation. Whatever your age, or motivation for change, a career in yachting offers a unique working environment with an unparalleled opportunity and variety of work.
With over 16 years of refinement, UKSA’s career training programs are proven to equip you with the practical skills, knowledge and qualifications to ensure your success working worldwide on yachts and motor yachts of every size. These programs are approved by MCA, Royal Yachting Association (RYA), PYA etc.
As part of the charitable remit, UKSA offers a range of leisure sailing and watersports courses aimed at improving personal enjoyment of a wide variety of sports afloat during recreational leisure time. Courses on offer take the form of 1-9 day residential programs and include all the necessary food accommodation, and use of personal safety equipment.
Career Training (Yacht)
- Superyacht Cadetship (4 years): The Professional Yacht Cadetship is ther flagship course. The cadetship allows you to earn while you learn to train for a long-term career in superyachting. This program is a structured 4-year apprenticeship with the option of completing a Foundation Degree in Operational Yacht Science with Falmouth Marine School.
- Professional Yachtmaster Offshore (14 weeks): The Professional Yachtmaster Offshore course will provide you with the comprehensive training and qualifications required to work within the maritime industry as a yacht skipper or as superyacht crew. The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate is recognised and respected around the world and is the ultimate aim of many skippers looking for employment opportunities in flotilla, charter, deliveries and instruction. Alongside the STCW Basic Safety Training certification the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore qualification is fast becoming the entry level requirement for those looking at a long term career within the superyacht industry.
- Superyacht Crew Training (19 days): If you are interested in beginning a career in the superyacht industry, this course is starting point. The Superyacht Crew Training course has been designed to meet the growing demand for well-trained professional crew and will provide you with the essential training you need to complete prior to starting work as a deckhand or crew member. The all-inclusive course gives you all the practical knowledge you need, plus guidance from instructors who have worked in the industry themselves. You will be prepared for the unique ethos of the superyacht industry, ensuring you understand the demands that will be placed on you when you begin work.
Career training (Superyacht Hospitality)
- Superyacht Interior Foundation (3 weeks): The Superyacht Interior Foundation course will prepare you with the skills needed to excel in this environment, together with the essential STCW safety training for work onboard the world’s largest luxury yachts.
- Superyacht Cookery Foundation (5 days): With instruction from expert chefs and professional yacht crew, the programme gives you a thorough understanding of good food preparation and cookery practice, including menu planning and budgeting.
Career Training (Watersports)
- Watersports Instructor Training (4 Disciplines)
- Summer Instructor Training
- Watersports Instructor Development
- Watersports Instructor Training - Neilson
MCA Yacht Deck Officer Training (For Experienced)
- MCA Approved Master 200gt: Passing Master 200gt will allow you to become the captain on any vessel less than 200gt. This includes work boats and wind farm support vessels. The Master (Code Vessels less than 200gt) Officer of the watch (Yachts less than 500gt) training covers two capacities - Limited (not more than 150 miles from safe haven) & Unlimited. Before you can obtain the Master (Code Vessels less than 200gt) Officer of the watch (Yachts less than 500gt) Certificate of Competency you must complete a number of Master (200gt) and MCA Ancillary courses to qualify to sit the Master (Code Vessels less than 200gt) Officer of the watch (Yachts less than 500gt) Certificate of Competency oral examination.
- Officer of the Watch OOW 3000gt: To work as an Officer on watch for vessels up to 3000gt, you will be required to hold an Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) Certificate of Competency. Before you can obtain the MCA Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) Certificate of Competency you must complete a number of OOW (Yacht) and MCA Ancillary courses to qualify to sit the Officer of the Watch (Yachts less than 3000gt) Certificate of Competency oral examination.
- Chief Mate (Yachts less than 3000gt): The Chief Mate (Yachts less than 3000gt) Certificate of Competency is an endorsement of the Officer of the Watch (Yachts less then 3000gt) Certificate of Competency. Before you can apply to the MCA the Chief Mate (Yachts less than 3000gt) CoC you must complete a number of MCA Ancillary courses.
- Master (Yachts less than 500gt/3000gt): To command vessels up to 500gt/3000gt commercially, you will be required to hold a Master (Yachts less than 500gt/3000gt) Certificate of Competency. Before you can obtain the MCA Master (Yachts less than 500gt/3000gt) Certificate of Competency you must complete a number of Master (Yacht) and MCA Ancillary courses to qualify to sit the Master (Yachts less than 500gt/3000gt) Certificate of Competency oral examination.
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- MCA Approved Engine Course
- RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
- GMDSS Restricted Operators Certificate (ROC)
- GMDSS General Operators Certificate (GOC)
STCW Safety Training
- STCW Basic Safety Training (STCW 95/2010)
- Elementary First Aid
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Proficiency in Medical First Aid
- Proficiency for Persons in Charge of Medical Care on Board Ship
STCW Security Training
- Ship Security Officer
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties PDSD
STCW Update Training
- Updated Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques
- Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
LAST UPDATED ON June 17, 2018