RYA Approved Classroom and Online Chart-Work Training Courses for Beginners and Professionals
Westview Sailing is an RYA recognized training centre in Chalfont St. Peter, Buckinghamshire, UK. Westview Sailing is run by Duncan Wells, RYA instructor and features writer for Yachting Monthly, Sailing Today & Practical Boat Owner and author of Stress Free Sailing, Stress Free Motorboating and Stress Free Navigation.
Westview Sailing runs the Day Skipper shore based course over 7 weeks (one night a week) and one weekend and the Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster course over 8 weeks (one night a week) and one weekend.
Running courses over several weeks allows enough time for the homework and a greater retention of the information than the shorter intensive courses. All Westview students are given access to the tutorial videos for the duration of their course.
Captain's Licenses & Endorsements
- RYA Day Skipper: The content includes - Nautical terms; Types of Sailing Yacht; Parts of the Yacht; Types of Motor Vessels; Parts of the Motor Vessel; Sailing Theory; Ropework; Anchorwork; Safety; International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisons at Sea (IRPCS); Position, Course and Speed; Charts and Publications; The Compass; Magnetic Variation; Deviation; Tides and Tidal Streams; The Tidal Hour; Dead Reckoning; Estimated Position; Course To Steer; GPS; Waypoints; Visual Aids to Navigation; Tidal Heights at Standard Ports, Secondary Ports; The Running Fix; Weather; Passage Planning; Pilotage; Navigation in Restricted Visibility; The Marine Environment.
- RYA Yachtmaster: The fundamental elements are the same as on the Day Skipper course. The only difference is that the course go into greater detail at Yachtmaster level and there is a Colreg paper that which needs 80% to pass the course.
- RYA SRC VHF/DSC: The course can be completed at home over a day, pass the pre-exam paper, arrange an exam, which can usually offer for the next day. Then if you are in a massive rush by paying a Fast Track fee the RYA will turn round your SRC within 48 hours.
Day Skipper Theory Online (Chartwork Test Prep)
- You may already be studying with an RYA training centre or doing an RYA online course. These videos are designed as a study aid and will help you to grasp the principle behind all the navigational and chartwork disciplines - and master them. Over 4 hours of videos and this Day Skipper online course is designed to help you pass your RYA Day Skipper chartwork exam with confidence.
- You will have a lifetime access to these videos not just from your computer but also from your tablet and mobile phone (Android and iOS). And so the videos will help you as you take your Day Skipper shore based theory and as a refresher when you come to do the practical part of the Day Skipper, out on the water.
RYA Yachtmaster Online (Chartwork Test Prep)
- This Yachtmaster course is designed to help you pass your RYA Yachtmaster shore based chart work exam with confidence and as an aide memoire prior to taking the practical Coastal Skipper course and exam and the Yachtmaster exam.
- You will have a lifetime access to these videos not just from your computer but also from your tablet and mobile phone (Android and iOS). And so the videos will help you as you take your Yachtmaster shore based theory and as a refresher when you come to do your practical courses out on the water.