Translate to Your Language
RYA and MCA Approved Yacht & Superyacht, Powerboating, Dinghy Sailing, and STCW Training In UK and Australia
Established in 1993, Flying Fisk UK at Cowes and Flying Fish Australia at Sydney, provides maritime and recreational training which leads to qualifications and certificates from internationally recognized awarding authorities. The in-house trainers at Flying Fish deliver courses in yachting, powerboating, dinghy sailing, and windsurfing and, in the UK for STCW commercial maritime qualifications. Flying Fish is approved by the UK Ministry of Defence Career Transition Partnership (CTP) as a preferred supplier of training to service leavers from the United Kingdom's Armed Forces.
Flying Fish courses are approved by various professional bodies ensuring high standards of instruction and safety management. In the UK, the courses are approved by Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and Royal Yachting Association (RYA). Flying Fish Australia is approved by RYA, Yachting Association of New South Wales (YASYDNEY) and Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI).
Flying Fish operates Beneteau 40.7 yachts in Cowes and a matched fleet in Sydney - ideal for learning to sail and getting to grips with race techniques. A McIntyre 55 ocean racer, ARCTOS, completes the Sydney yacht fleet, for offshore mile-building and extended ocean passages. The powerboat courses provide intensive training in the practical skills and theory knowledge needed by every small boat driver. The small boats in Sydney include six two-person Bahia sailing dinghies, complete with asymmetric spinnakers and trapeze, and six Laser Pico single-handers.
Yachts and Superyacht Course (STCW)
- MCA approved STCW Basic Safety Training (1 week) - Cowes, UK and Sydney, Australia: STCW Basic Safety Training as a minimum requirement to work on any commercial vessel. If your aim is to become a professional skipper this five day course is an essential part of your training.
- STCW Superyacht Deck Crew Training (2 weeks) - Cowes, UK and Sydney, Australia: Essential qualifications needed to enter the superyacht industry as a member of crew, including STCW Basic Safety Training.
- STCW Superyacht Interior Crew Training (2 weeks) - Cowes, UK: This course gives you the essential qualifications needed to enter the superyacht industry as a steward or stewardess, including STCW Basic Safety Training
- STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Update (2 days) - Cowes
- STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (2 days) - Cowes
- STCW Proficiency in Security Awareness (1 day) - Cowes
- STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (1 day) - Cowes
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques Update (1 day) - Cowes
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques (1 day) - Cowes
- STCW Elementary First Aid (1 day) - Cowes
RYA Yachtmaster Training
- Yachtmaster Traineeship (12 weeks) - Sydney, Australia: The Flying Fish Yachtmaster Traineeship in Sydney takes you from novice sailor to competent skipper and the RYA Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence.
- Yachtmaster Fast-track (7 weeks) ) - Sydney, Australia: Yachtmaster Fast-track is a seven week course leading to the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence. Designed for confident sailors who have previous experience as skipper in sheltered waters.
- Yachtmaster Ocean Theory and Passage (4 weeks) - Sydney, Australia: The passage prepares experienced skippers for the prestigious RYA Yachtmaster Ocean exam and the MCA Master of Yachts 200gt Unrestricted Certificate of Competence.
- Yachtmaster Ocean Traineeship (16 weeks) - Sydney, Australia: The Yachtmaster Ocean Traineeship in Sydney first trains you for your RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence. Then you go on to learn astro-navigation and complete a blue water qualifying passage of 600 miles or more, in preparation for the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean oral exam.
- Coastal Skipper ( 1 week) - Sydney & Hamilton Island QLD, Australia: The RYA Coastal Skipper course provides you with the opportunity to develop your seamanship ,boat handling and navigation skills offshore by day and night. It is a stepping stone towards the Yachtmaster Certificates of Competence.
- Yachtmaster Prep and Exam Week (Sail) (7 days) - Sydney, Australia: This live-aboard course leads to a practical assessment, conducted independently by an RYA Yachtmaster Examiner. Your objective may be a Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence or the lesser qualification, Yachtmaster Coastal.
- Yachtmaster Milebuilder and Qualifying Passages (5 days) - Sydney, Australia: This yachting milebuilder logs you sea miles and offshore qualifying passages in preparation for assessment for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence. You will take part in a series of extended passages by day and night, operating a watch system on board.
- Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory (1 week) - Cowes, UK and Sydney, Australia: On completing this course you will have a thorough knowledge of all the theory required for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.
- Yachtmaster Ocean Theory (1 week) - Sydney, Australia: The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory week teaches you celestial navigation, including the use of a sextant. You will leave the course confident that you have the knowledge and skills required to navigate an ocean passage using traditional methods.
Yacht Radio and Maintenance Courses
- RYA Radio VHF Short Range Certificate (1 day) - Cowes, UK: Learn the basics of VHF radio operation on this one day course: radio protocol, emergency procedures and how to use the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). This course is a requirement for candidates entering a Yachtmaster Coastal or Yachtmaster Offshore exam.
- ACMA Marine Radio VHF HF Licence (1 day) - Sydney, Australia: This one day Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) approved course teaches you to use VHF (Short Range) as well as MF and HF (Long Range) radio for distress, urgency, safety and general calls. The course includes GMDSS and DSC.
Yachts Learn to Sail Courses (Sydney, Australia)
- Yacht Skipper Fast-track (4 week): From beginner to RYA qualified Day Skipper in just four weeks. Gain a package of internationally recognized qualifications whilst enjoying fantastic sailing on Sydney Harbour.
- Try Yachting in a Morning/Afternoon (3 hours): This three hour lesson introduces you to the exciting sport of sailing in a safe and controlled way.
- Day Skipper Practical in Three Weekends: Over three weekends they will take you from RYA Competent Crew (or equivalent sailing ability) to RYA Day Skipper. We recommend combining this course with Essential Navigation and Seamanship, where you learn chartwork in the classroom.
- Start Yachting Weekend or Competent Crew In Three Weekends: Start Yachting is the first of a series of three weekends. Taken alone, this weekend is a great taster course. When booked as a package the three weekends save you money and offer a comprehensive introduction to yachting, leading to the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Competent Crew certificate.
- Discover Yachting (1 day): Experience the magic of a day sailing on Sydney Harbour in comfort and style on board one of the race tuned yachts.
- Introduction to Spinnakers and Racing: Learn some tricks of the trade on this three day course so you can be safe on the race course.
- Competent Crew (5 days): This live-aboard course provides a comprehensive introduction to yachting and leads to a Royal Yachting Association (RYA) certificate. The course is designed for novice sailors who would like to become useful and active crew members.
Navigation and Theory Courses
- Essential Navigation and Seamanship (2 days) - Cowes, UK and Sydney, Australia: This two day classroom course provides a beginner's introduction to the navigation theory and safety knowledge required to go boating safely at sea. Designed for new or inexperienced skippers and crew.
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) - Online: Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) is a compulsory online course for new and revalidating applicants for RYA Commercial Endorsement to support a skipper's Certificate of Competence.
Powerboat Courses (Sydney, Australia)
- RYA Start Powerboating Certificate and SYDNEY Boat Licence (1 day): This course provides all the practical training and theory knowledge required by the small boat driver andinclude everything you need for the SYDNEY Boat Licence.
- Outboard Engine Maintenance (1 day): This one day course is for the Sydney boating enthusiast who wants a basic understanding of the operation and maintenance of an outboard motor. They teach you how to take simple measures to prevent mechanical breakdown at sea and to rectify defects which do not require workshop support.
- RYA Diesel Engine (1 day): This course gives you an overall awareness of the main systems of a marine diesel engine. They teach you how to take simple measures to prevent mechanical breakdown at sea and to rectify defects which do not require workshop support.
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (2 days): This course provides intensive training in the practical skills and theory knowledge needed by the small boat driver. You will learn to drive our rigid inflatable rescue craft.
- International Certificate of Competence (ICC) (1 day): As a skipper, you must make yourself aware of any qualifications required when visiting another country. In the countries of Europe the ICC will usually prove evidence of competence to the local authority or a charter company.
Dinghy Sailing Courses (Sydney, Australia)
- Dinghy Sail Instructor Fast-track - 4 weeks
- Dinghy Sail Instructor Prep and Assessment - 5 days
- Learn to Sail Dinghies on Sunday Mornings - 1 day
- Learn to Sail Dinghies (Level 1 & 2) - 2 days
- Marine First Aid - 1 day
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 15, 2017