Translate to Your Language
Fully Funded Career, Education & Training Opportunities in Merchant Navy as Deck; Engine or Electro-Technical Officers
Chiltern Maritime Limited is a privately owned & independent UK based training consultancy, specializing in the recruitment, training & administration of Officer Trainees for Merchant Navy Scholarship Schemes. Chiltern Maritime Ltd manages the recruitment and training of Deck, Engine and Electro-Technical Officer Trainees via the HNC/D, Foundation Degree or Full Hons Degree on behalf of Conway Merchant Navy Trust, Maritime London and The Corporation of Trinity House.
Scholarship Officer Trainees sail on a variety of different vessel types with various reputable companies giving them a broad insight into the Merchant Navy. With an emphasis firmly placed upon on gaining a wealth of experience on a range of vessels trading worldwide, you will be provided with an all round view of the industry, allowing you to decide which direction to take after your training is completed.
With your tuition and fees funded, as well as the allocation of a monthly bursary, your training will be completed in association with bespoke maritime training establishments within the UK, ensuring that you will be well prepared for your practical training onboard and eventual qualification to Officer of the Watch (OOW) standard.
Education & Training Programs
UK Cadet Programs
- Deck Programs: HNC/HND, Foundation Degree or Hons Degree in Marine Operations with OOW/D Certificate of Competency.
- Engine Programs: HNC/HND, Foundation Degree or Hons Degree in Marine Engineering with OOW/E Certificate of Competency.
- Electro-Technical Programs: HNC/HND in Marine Engineering & OOW/E Certificate of Competency or Foundation Degree in Marine Electrical/Electronic Engineering with OOW/ETO Certificate of Competency.
- HND in Marine Operations (Deck) or Marine Engineering: This route would be suited to candidates who have or will expect to have 5 GCSE’s or Scottish Standard Awards – (grades A*-C or 1-3), which must include Mathematics, English and a Dual Award Science.
- Foundation Degree in Marine Operations, Marine Engineering or Marine Electrical/Electronic Engineering: Suitable for candidates who possess the above criteria, but who will also have or expect to attain a minimum of 120 UCAS points through A Levels or their equivalents, preferably in Mathematics or Physics.
- Engineering Specialized Route (Fast Track): For those applicants whom have recently passed a BSc Marine Engineering / Electrical Engineering based degree, BEng or industry based apprenticeship, and who display a mature outlook on life, a fast track system may be offered. Eligibility for this type of route will also be determined by the MCA’s provision of a Letter of Assessment, defining the exact make-up of their training.
- Nationality: To qualify for sponsorship you must be a passport holder of an EEA state and be ordinarily resident within the UK, as defined by the governing regulations surrounding the provision of grants for the training of officer cadets for the British Merchant Navy.
CHILTERN Irish Programs
On behalf of the sponsoring companies a number of Irish Cadets are recruited every year. This is done once Officer Trainees have already started at the National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI) and is nearing their first sea phase.
Officer Trainees interested in being sponsored through Chiltern will attend an interview at NMCI and if successful take up sponsorship with immediate effect. Candidates must have gained the following in order to be considered - Leaving Certificate with Grade D3 in five subject's at Ordinary or Higher level including Mathematics and either English or Irish; and Already secured a place and have commenced training at NMCI.
Irish Marine Programs
- Deck: Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science with OOW/D Certificate of Competency
- Engine: Bachelor of Engineering in Marine & Plant Engineering with OOW/E Certificate of Competency
- Electro-Technical: Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Electro Technology
For more information about the course please visit the section - National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI)