Translate to Your Language
Maritime Navigational and Short Courses & Boating License Courses in Townsville, Sunshine Coast and Brisbane
The Australian Coast Guard Maritime Academy provides maritime training programs, consulting and research organization with a particular focus on Coastal Maritime Operations, Maritime Search & Rescue, Marine Tourism and Youth Development. Through the unique combination of short and long courses, conveniently grouped into relevant programs, you will be able to easily choose those that are appropriate to your needs whether it be as simple as qualifying for a Recreational Boating License or training for a career as a Merchant Marine Officer.
The academy is not a government-managed institution but a wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard, one of the largest dedicated maritime training and search and rescue volunteer organizations in the southern hemisphere with more than 50 years experience in training coastal mariners.
Headquartered at Pomona QLD, the Academy provides all its programming in a safe, enjoyable and educational context, with students guided at every turn by highly experienced and professional staff, all of whom adhere to comprehensive safety and risk-management procedures.
Maritime Navigation Courses
- Coxwain Course: On completion of our certificate II coxswain course you will receive a Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal (NC) certificate. All Units of Competency required for Coxswain Grade I are covered in the course, including a LROCP (formally MROCP) radio license and First Aid certificate.
- Master <24m Course: On completion of our certificate III Master <24 course you will receive a Master <24, Near Coastal (NC) certificate. The holder of this certificate can (a) Command a commercial vessel <24 m long in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ); (b) Act as Chief Mate or deck watchkeeper on a vessel <35 m long in the EEZ; and (c) Act as Chief Mate or deck watchkeeper on a vessel <80m long in inshore waters.
- Elements Shipboard Safety ESS: This certificate satisfies requirements for Shipboard Safety under the National Standard for Commercial Vessels Section D4.2 Successful completion of this course is mandatory for anyone working on board commercial vessels and is also a requirement if applying to a state marine authority for Certificate of Competence as a Coxswain Grade 1 or 2, Master Class.
Upcoming Marine Courses
- GMDSS Global Marine Distress and Safety Systems: 8 days face to face in class, AMSA Australian Maritime Safety Authority approved, IMO International Maritime Organization approved GOC General Operators Certificate.
- GMDSS Revalidation: 3 day course face to face.
- COST Certificate of Safety Training: 8 day course Face to face , practical pool work and Live Fire Training at Whyte Island Qld, includes nationally recognized First Aid course AMSA Australian Maritime Safety Authority approved, IMO International Maritime Organization approved GOC General Operators Certificate.
- Security Awareness: 1 day course Face to Face AMSA Australian Maritime Safety Authority approved, IMO International Maritime Organization approved.
Australian Volunteer Coastguard Courses
- Basic Seamanship & Small Boat Handling: This course is designed to turn the novice boat-owner into a competent small boat skipper. The course consists of eight/nine sessions with lectures, instructional films and slides, and demonstrations of safety equipment.
- General License Boating Safety Course: This is the course that must be studied by those people wishing to sit the test for a General Boat Licence.
- Coastal Navigation Course: Gain the skill and confidence necessary for coastal cruising. The Course is for those who wish to gain knowledge in coastal cruising.
- General Marine Radio: This course is designed to cover most aspects of the installation and operation of marine radios and echo sounders, together with the Marine Radio Operator's Certificate of Proficiency syllabus and participants can sit for the examination as well.
- Marine Radio - (MROCP) License: This course is designed to cover most aspects of the installation and operation of marine radios and echo sounders, together with the Marine Radio Operator's Certificate of Proficiency syllabus and participants can sit for the examination as well.
- Victorian Marine Licence Courses
National Radio Courses
- VF12 SANDRINGHAM
- QF3 REDCLIFFE
- QF11 YEPPOON
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 26, 2017