Merchant Navy Deck & Engineering Courses and, Maritime & RYA Training Programs in Glasgow
Scotland’s largest college, City of Glasgow College was formed in 2010 with merging three prominent colleges in Glasgow, Central College Glasgow; Glasgow Metropolitan College; and Glasgow College of Nautical Studies. City of Glasgow College now has a portfolio of over 2,600 courses across a wide variety of areas which can be studied in various modes of attendance such as full time, part time, day release and distance learning. The College is currently the home of 40,000 students and 1,200 staff.
Two new campuses are being built for the college. Building work has started on a Marine Skills Centre on the banks of the River Clyde near Thistle Street.. The new college has the support of Glasgow City Council and the Scottish Funding Council.
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies (Which merged with the City of Glasgow College and now Faculty of Nautical Studies) is a UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Many of the programs and courses are approved by the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and/or the Merchant Navy Training Board.
Deck Cadet/Officer Training
Entry Level Programs
- NC Shipping and Maritime Operations / NC-HNC Deck Officer Trainee Program: These courses are designed for school leavers who wish to become seagoing Deck Officers. SAAS funding is available for Phase 3 of this course for eligible students. The course incorporates both the SQA NC Shipping and Maritime Operations and the HNC Nautical Science.
- PDA Nautical Science HND / Scottish Professional Diploma in Marine Operations (SCQF level 8): This course is designed for school leavers who have gained at least 120 UCAS points and who wish to become seagoing Deck Officers.
- HNC Nautical Science/HNC Nautical Science (Alt Route Phase 3D) (SCQF level 7): This course is for students already enrolled on a deck officer training program. It encompasses the academic element of the course leading to an HNC in Nautical Studies. This course is placed on the Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework at Level 7.
- NC Shipping and Marine Operations January (SCQF level 5): The course is fully approved by the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and the Merchant Navy Training Board. All students are sponsored by various shipping companies or training agencies, who provide the sea phases on ships operating worldwide
Programs for Experienced Professionals
- HND Nautical Science/Chief Mate Full /Master Inc HND (SCQF level 8): This course is designed for you to progress from OOW level (deck) to Chief mates level. The course requires that have held a MCA approved OOW certificate and that you have held that position at sea for a period of 12-18 months.
- Chief Mate Full HND Course: This course is designed for you to progress from OOW level (deck) to Chief mates level. The course requires that have held a MCA approved OOW certificate and that you have held that position at sea for a period of 12 months. The course overall will equip you to become a competent and efficient Chief mate.
- UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency Officer of the Watch (Reg11/1) (including HNC Nautical Science) (SCQF level 7): The course is designed for serving deck ratings who want to obtain a UK Certificate of Competency at Officer of the Watch (STCW 95) level. SAAS funding is available for eligible students attending this course.
Engineering Cadet/Officer Programs
Entry level Programs
- HNC Marine Engineering (SCQF level 7): The aim of the course is to provide training and qualifications necessary for employment in the Merchant Navy as an Engineering Officer of the Watch.
- NC/HNC Marine Engineering Cadetship (SCQF level 7): The aim of the course is to provide training and qualifications necessary for employment in the Merchant Navy as an Engineering Officer of the Watch.
- HND Marine Engineering (SCQF level 8): This course is designed for school leavers who have gained at least 120 UCAS points and who wish to become seagoing Deck Officers At the end of this course a student will have gained a Professional Diploma in Marine Engineering and their professional qualifications which will allow them to be an Officer of the Watch (OOW) on a merchant vessel.
- HND Marine Engineering (SCQF level 8) / HND Marine Engineering for Cadets from Overseas Colleges (SCQF level 8): The aim of this course is to offer those students who have successfully completed the NC/HNC Marine Engineering program the opportunity to attain an HND in Marine Engineering. Successful completion of the course will give full exemptions to MCA examinations for academic subjects at Class 2 and Class 1.
Post HND Programs
- Chief Mates / Class 2 Post HND Course: This course is designed for candidates at OOW level, who hold an HND in Nautical Science (HND has to be within 7 years of issue to the date of application for your mates COC). To prepare for MCA Written and Oral exam to achieve level of Chief Mate unlimited.
- OOW Post HND Course: This course is designed specifically for overseas cadets, who have already completed their HND Nautical Science or those who have done the BSC Nautical Science and delivered in 17 weeks. The course is divided into preparation for MCA Orals and MCA written examinations, both are arranged by the college.
Part-Time /Weekend /Evening Courses
- Chief Mate Full HND Course
- Chief Mates / Class 2 Post HND Course
- Class 1 Masters Orals
- Class 2 Chief Mates Orals
- Class 2 Chief Mates Written
- MCA Certificate Distance Learning Course
- Class-I Engineering Knowledge (Chief Engineer)
- Class-II Engineering Knowledge (Second Engineer)
- MCA SQA Written Exam Evening Tuition Classes
- High Voltage (Management) Level Course
- Approved Engine Course
- Advanced Tanker Courses - Oil, Gas and Chemical Tanker Courses
- Bridge Team Training
- Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
- Dynamic Positioning Induction
- Dynamic Positioning Simulator (Advanced)
- EOOW and IAMI Examination Preparation and Record Book Guide
- Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
- Efficient Deck Hand
- Electronic Chart Display and Information System ECDIS
- Enhanced Navigational Boat Course
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety Systems GMDSS
- Human Element Leadership Management (HELM)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Proficiency for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (PSA)
- Safety Officers Course
- Ships Security Officer
- Short Range Certificate
- Tanker Familiarization
- RYA Coastal/Offshore
- RYA Day Skipper
- RYA Engine Maintenance