Translate to Your Language
Maritime Transport and Logistics & Transport Planning & Engineering Education & Research
Edinburgh Napier University is a dynamic professional institution, committed to providing high-quality education located in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is one of Scotland's largest higher education institutions with nearly 15,000 students enrolled on a wide range of courses. The University has a truly international atmosphere with almost 2,500 students from over 100 countries.
The University constantly innovates and adopts new initiatives to give students the perfect mix of industry-recognized courses, excellent graduate employability prospects and modern facilities. Students can choose from a portfolio of 200 undergraduate and postgraduate programs awarded across three faculties - Health, Life and Social Sciences; Engineering, Computing and Creative Industries; and The Business School.
The Edinburgh Napier University has been awarded the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2009. This was awarded for demonstrating world-class standards of excellence. This recognition complements the world-leading classification awarded to the Architecture and Built Environment division in the Research Assessment Exercise in 2008. Edinburgh Napier is one of Scotland’s top universities for graduate employability and one of the top in the UK for Graduate Prospects with around 100 industry-relevant postgraduate courses.
Bachelor Degree Programs
- MEng Civil & Transportation Engineering (Full-time): As a Civil Engineer, or a specialist in transportation, you’ll be responsible for the planning, design, construction and maintenance of structures and transport networks. These programs teach you how to plan and deliver the elements that make these up. The program offers the opportunity to apply theory to practice with site visits (some overseas) and an industry based work placement. You’ll learn the fundamentals of civil engineering and develop specific skills in structural analysis, transport systems, ground engineering, water resource management and transport planning. You’ll put these skills into practice on work placement and gain industry insights from site visits, a week-long survey camp, overseas field trip and input from engineering companies.
- MBA (Logistics and Supply Chains - Online, 21-33 months): This globally-recognised qualification will develop your business skills and give you the expertise you need to take on senior roles in any organisation. It's a flexible course delivered online that will build on your work experience and allow you to combine your MBA with a specialism in logistics and supply chain management to reflect your area of interest.The curriculum is tailored for the dynamic contemporary global business environment, focusing on developing skills in leadership, and the application of conceptual management theories to current practice. You’ll acquire competencies in innovative and creative problem solving, critical thinking and strategic reasoning.
- MSc Business Management (Logistics and Supply Chains) - Online (21-33 months): This course is designed to deliver accessible, creative and flexible postgraduate business education and offer a choice in how, when and where you study - as well as the option to pursue a specialism. It’s ideally suited to individuals who intend to balance their personal and professional commitments with their studies. This is a fully online course that will build on your existing experience and knowledge and enhance it with contemporary business theory.
- MSc in Transport Planning & Engineering (Full-time, Part-time, Online): The course provides an overview of the management of transport operations and the long-term strategic goals and outcomes for transport planning and policy. You will gain a thorough knowledge of the nature of transportation and techniques for analyzing transport problems. You will also learn how transport operations are planned, designed, constructed and maintained, and develop effective transport strategies to meet the key challenges. The part-time and distance learning options allow those working in the industry to expand their professional capabilities.
Transport Research Institute (TRI) PhD
- Transportation Research PhD: The Transport Research Institute is Scotland's largest and longest established transport research group and support and supervise postgraduate research in the specialist research areas.
Edinburgh Napier Features
Edinburgh Napier nurtures close links with industry across the three faculties to give you the best possible head start in your career. The partnerships with ground breaking and successful businesses as well as with other pioneering universities, nationally and internationally, make Edinburgh Napier an exciting and rewarding place to study. Many of the staff are actively engaged with industry, either as practitioners or in research or knowledge transfer programs, which improves the industrial relevance of university’s teaching and research. A large number of the programs are professionally accredited by relevant bodies and many include and industry work placement, giving you valuable business experience, networking opportunities and enhanced personal development.
- Campus: Edinburgh Napier is located in the capital of Scotland, Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a vibrant, cosmopolitan city with a 24-hour, student friendly buzz. The Faculty of Engineering is located at the Merchiston campus.
- Accreditation: Edinburgh Napier University is a public university and UK Border Agency (UKBA) highly trusted student sponsor. Civil & Transportation Engineering programs are accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institute of Highway Engineers, The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation and the Institution of Structural Engineers, leading to Chartered Engineer Status. Transport Planning and Engineering program is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT), and is approved by the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT), the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Institute of Highway Engineers and the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) (subject to first degree) leading to Chartered Engineer Status.
- Transport Research Institute: Established in 1996, the Transport Research Institute (TRI) is internationally recognized for the high quality of its multidisciplinary transport research and consultancy.
- International Students: Edinburgh Napier has the fourth highest proportion of overseas students in the United Kingdom according to the Sunday Times University Guide 2010.
- Employability: 97.4 per cent of Edinburgh Napier University students are in work or further study within six months of graduating. The top employers the graduates go on to work for each year include Halifax Bank of Scotland, Aegon, Royal Bank of Scotland, Scottish and Newcastle, Scottish Widows, Sky, Standard Life, Tesco, the National Health Service and the Scottish Government.
- College Partners: Edinburgh Napier has individual program articulation agreements with over 100 colleges in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Ireland. Each year, approximately 1,500 students progress from college to study full-time on degree programs at Edinburgh Napier.
- Confident Futures: Confident Futures is an innovative program of personal development created by Edinburgh Napier and unique in Higher Education. Edinburgh Napier is the top university in the UK for ‘Value Added’ degrees - a comparison of student’s qualifications on entry to University and their honors results according to Guardian University Guide 2009.
- Housing: The university has 198 self catered flats with space for 950 students in the centre of the city. There are also 71 bed spaces at iQ, an external accommodation provider. These rooms are en suite with the University discount.