Maritime Professional Courses, STCW and MCA Training, Heritage and RYA Programs in Stromness Harbour, UK
Orkney College is an academic partner in the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI). The College serves the Orkney community, which is rural and predominantly agricultural. The main campus is a new purpose-built site located on a hill on the outskirts of Kirkwall. The College is one of very few non-incorporated colleges in Scotland and is the responsibility of the OIC, which has devolved considerable powers, including management, funding and staffing to the College Management Council (CMC).
Orkney College's Maritime Studies department is ideally situated on a waterfront site in busy Stromness Harbor. It has a long and distinguished history of providing education and training for generations of the seafarers from Orkney and beyond.
The department mainly concentrates on courses of study leading to the issue of Maritime and Coastguard Agency MCA Certificates of Competency (COC). Each COC is achieved by successful completion of the appropriate Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ), a number of ancillary courses and an oral examination conducted by an MCA examiner. Courses for the leisure sector (RYA) are also available.
- Maritime Skills Intermediate 2 (Part-time): his Skills for Work course consists of 5 units covering a wide range of maritime skills and knowledge. It is both practical and theoretical and is an excellent grounding in the maritime industry potentially leading to a career in any sector at sea including the Merchant Navy, fishing or Marine leisure etc. This is a Skills for Work course and is open to S3 and S4 school pupils.
Maritime Professional Training
- Deck Safety Awareness: This two day course is aimed at technicians, researchers, students, observers and others who usually work on land but may be called upon to work aboard vessels at sea.
- Fire Fighting for Seafarers: The Basic Fire Fighting Certificate provides a solid elementary level of knowledge invaluable for anyone working in the maritime environment.
- GMDSS Restricted Operator Certificate: Global Maritime Distress Safety: this course is suitable for persons who operate VHF radio on vessels which are ‘compulsory fit’ i.e. they are required by law to have a VHF radio fitted.
- SRC Marine Radio VHF: The course is for seafarers who are required to operate a marine VHF radio in coastal waters, within range of a coastal station (Area A1).
- Efficient Deck Hand: The objectives of the course are to give all persons who meet the entry requirements the necessary skills and knowledge to be able to safely carry out the duties expected of an efficient deck hand on board merchant ships.
STCW Training Courses
- Elementary First Aid
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Medical Care OnBoard Ship
- Medical First Aid
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Personal Survival Techniques Refresher
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
- Updated Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting
- Updated Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Updated Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
MCA Approved Courses
- Master Coded Vessels <200T
- Human Element, Leadership & Management (Operations)
- Approved Engine Course AEC
- RYA Powerboat 2
- RYA Advanced Powerboat
- Sail making
- Rope work, knots and splices
- Sail repair
- IOSH Managing Safely for Offshore Renewables
- Enclosed Spaces (sea based)