Marine Insurance Claim & Marine Survey Courses and Training for Marine Insurance Companies
Founded in 1987 and headquartered in Charleston South Carolina, Knox Marine Consultants investigates boating accidents and provides damage surveys and litigation support for marine claims and, offers training programs for underwriters, adjusters, and marine surveyors. With training locations in SC, Knox Marine also has offices in Norfolk and Richmond, Virginia as well as St. Augustine, FL to provide damage surveys for our insurance company clients.
Knox Marine Consultants maintains a network of qualified experts in all boating fields. The services include - Boat Accident Investigation, Collisions, Loss of control accidents, some with subsequent ejection, Personal watercraft accidents, Product liability, analysis of manufacturing defects and failures, Hand injuries aboard pontoon boats, Falls overboard, Falls within a boat, Yacht appraisals, Structural defects, Owner's Representative, and Damage Survey to name a few.
Marine Insurance Claims Programs
- Annual Yacht Claims Conference (2 days): This seminar offered in mid February. The audience usually consists of marine surveyors and insurance company claims handlers. Topics and speakers change every year but always cover claims issues.
- Basic Claims Adjusting (1 week): This program is offered as in-house training at clients' sites. The topics include - Boat types, propulsion types, construction methods, basic systems, types of claims, overview of common boat claims, principles of marine insurance contracts, the claims process, and basic maritime law. The course is intended for claims adjusters who are new to the marine field.
- Advanced Claims Adjusting (1 week): This program is offered as in-house training at clients' sites. Topics include - Boat types, sailboat rigs, advanced systems, additional detail on hull construction and repair, engine theory and repair, engine claims, and claims case studies. Also include - additional detail on marine insurance contracts, the claims process, and maritime law. The course is intended to build confidence and experience in claims adjusters with some boat experience.
Marine Survey Programs
- Marine Surveying - The Business Side (1 day): This course is about building and running a profitable marine surveying business with emphasis on the business side rather than the technical side. Taught at various times and locations throughout the year. Primarily for beginning marine surveyors and those who want to become marine surveyors.
Boating Basics Programs
- Boat Basics (0.5 day): This is a class for insurance agents, offered as in-house training at clients' site. The course is approved for 4 continuing education credits for agents licensed in Virginia and covers the different types of boats, engines, and trailers, vocabulary and boat values. The course also looks into how agents can mitigate damage in boat claims.
Courses for Insurance Companies (Half day Classes)
- Adjusting Claims on Outboard Engines and Sterndrives
- Adjusting Claims on Inboard and Inboard/Outboard Engines
- Evaluating Damage to a Fiberglass Hull
- Rules of the Road and Collision Investigations
- Fraud and Theft Investigation
- Salvage Law
- Boat Fires - Investigation and Adjusting
- Sailboat Claims
- Boat Sinking Claims