Able Seaman, Proficiency in Survival Craft Rescue Boat (PSCRB), Fast Rescue Boat (FRB), and Other USCG Approved Courses in Seattle, Gig Harbor & La Conner, WA
Located in Washington WA, The Northwest Maritime Academy (NWMA) has three campuses in the state. First campus is on the historic waterfront of Gig Harbor Washington, and the second campus located on the Seattle waterfront, home to the NWMA motor lifeboat and rescue boat training facility and the third campus, at the La Connor serving the north end of Puget Sound in a picturesque waterfront community situated along the Swinomish Channel.
The Northwest Maritime Academy (NWMA) is one of the few United States Coast Guard (USCG) approved training school to use up-to-date equipment abreast of the latest SOLAS changes affecting vessels, launching appliances, and hook release systems. The courses are designed to enhance confidence levels, strengthen skills, and foster a workforce of safer, more informed mariners.
NWMA training partners include the Bremerton International Emergency Services Training Center, WRG Fire Training Simulation Systems, Fire Command Training Structures, Pacific Maritime Institute and MITAGS-PMI. The Northwest Maritime Academy along with The Bremerton International Training Center, WRG and MTC International are in process of building a state of the art mission-specific training pool facility, the Maritime Safety Survival Training (MSST) Facility in the Pacific Northwest. The facility is scheduled to open in 2018.
Scheduled Marine Courses
- Able Seaman Course: This Marine Training AB course meets all of the U. S. Coast Guard examination requirements, upon graduation the student may immediately transition to the next level course with no further U. S. Coast Guard examination requirements. Whether it is Lifeboat Lite certification or the standard Lifeboat certification, the follow-up course is staffed and ready to go. NWMA will work to accommodate your schedule, and arrange for uninterrupted class days for swift advancement to the next level.
- Able Seaman (AB) and PSC Ltd Package Course (7 days): NWMA has developed an IMO compliant and USCG approved combination Able Body Seaman and Proficiency in survival craft course that can lead to certification in just one week’s time. The first forty (40) hours of this course review the core topics of what it is to be an Able Body Seaman and includes assessments on - Rules of the Road, Seamanship, Deck General, Safety, and Marlinspike Seamanship.
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft Rescue Boat Lifeboatmen (4 days): This STCW course has been developed for seafarers who are responsible for the survival crafts and rescue boats during an emergency situation. By following this training participants should be able to be in charge of the survival craft or rescue boat during and after launching. Besides this the delegates will learn how to deal with the crew members and the rescue boat and provide first aid after abandoning the ship.
- Proficiency in Survival Craft Lifeboatman Limited PSC Ltd (2.5 days): This course provides the knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required to take charge of a survival craft or rescue boat during and after launching as outlined in the STCW code. The course is designed for inland mariners and focuses on the survival craft found onboard inland and near-coastal vessels and, is perfect for Washington State Ferry Crew members, or for vessels without lifeboats.
- Fast Rescue Boat (FRB) Training Course (Seattle, Gig Harbor & La Conner (3 days): This three-day course is intended for personnel with previous small boat handling experience wishing to improve and adapt their skills for fast rescue boat operations. This course is a combination of classroom lecture and underway practical exercises.
Unscheduled USCG Approved Courses
- Water/Helicopter Survival Training (HUET)
- Basic Safety Training (BST)
- Drill Conductor
- STCW Advanced Firefighting
- STCW Basic Firefighting
- Maritime First Aid CPR and AED Courses
LAST UPDATED ON Aug 22, 2018