Workboat Mate Program in Seattle, Baltimore, and New Orleans
The Workboat Academy is offered by Pacific Maritime Institute (PMI), the Maritime Institute of Technology & Graduate Studies (MITAGS) and Houston Marine Training Services (HMTS). The Institutes provide training for both civilian and military seafarers from around the globe. MITAGS, PMI and HMTS are dedicated to helping mariners maintain and advance their certifications, as well as assisting individuals who would like to enter the maritime profession.
Workboat Academy provides all of the training and support you will need to obtain a Mate's license. More importantly, it will give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to take on the duties and responsibilities of a Mate. The program is organized so that every shore-based training phase is reinforced by simulation and on-board training. This approach allows apply their new knowledge on the job. Furthermore each phase builds on the previous, so students develop their skills gradually and logically.
The Academy offers the following services and support: Assistance establishing payment plans and Veterans Benefits (if applicable); Assistance completing U.S. Coast Guard forms and applications; Comprehensive program orientation and support; Assistance establishing relationships with company contacts and serves as the liaison for onboard training; Arrangement of discounted rates at the local hotels for students attending the program at PMI; Arrangement of discounted lodging/food rates for students attending the program; Free access to the latest license preparation software, which includes solutions for most of the U.S. Coast Guard examination problems (LAPWARE); and Career advice and job placement assistance.
- Workboat Mate Program (28 months): : The Workboat Mate Program provides all the training and support Cadets need to obtain a Mate’s license. More importantly, it instills in Cadets the knowledge, skills, and confidence to take on the duties and responsibilities of a Mate. The 28-month program is divided between approximately 30 weeks of classroom training and 360 calendar days of training at sea. Some Cadets have been able to finish the program in as little as 24 months.
- Upon successful completion of the Workboat Academy program, a graduate will hold the following - Mate 500 or 1600 GRT (depending on company vessels), Able Seafarer Limited, and if apprenticing on a tugboat, Mate of Towing. The Workboat Academy works with Partner Companies in the Maritime Industry who provide training and berths for Cadets during the on-board component of the Workboat Academy’s Mate Program.
- Admission Requirements: A High School Diploma is required for the Workboat Academy Program. GEDs and other acceptable equivalents will be honored. Other requirements - No DUI, Basic Math Entrance Exam, Able to pass the Partner Company’s Physical Exam, Eligible for an American Passport, 19 Years of Age, Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC), and Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- PMI Workboat Mate students are also eligibility to receive an AAS degree through Renton Technical College (requires the completion of 4 general ed. courses - only one having to be taken at RTC).
- Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW)
- Basic Safety Training (BST)
- Able Seafarer Deck (AS)
- Lifeboatman (LFBT)
- Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation/Compasses (TCNAV/CO)
- Radar Observer Unlimited (ROP-5)
- Leadership & Managerial Skills (LMS)
- Basic Stability (STB)
- Search & Rescue (SAR)
- Emergency Procedures (EP)
- Automatic Radar Plotting Aid (ARPA)
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Advanced Firefighting (FF-BADV)
- Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)
- Watchkeeping (WKP BAS)
- Vessel, Company & Facility Security Officer (VCF)
- Basic Cargo Handling (CHS BAS)
- Celestial Navigation (CNAV)
- Medical First Aid Provider (MEDPRO)
- Basic Shiphandling (SHS BAS)
- Basic Meteorology (WX BAS)
- Flashing Light (FL)
Workboat Program Partners
The Workboat Academy partners with companies in the Maritime Industry who provide training and berths for Apprentices during the on-board component of the Workboat Academy’s Mate Program.
- Andrie Marine
- Brusco Tug and Barge
- Crosby Tugs
- Crowley Marine Services
- Dann Marine Towing
- Dunlap Towing Company
- Foss Maritime
- Harley Marine Services
- Harvey Gulf
- Kirby Offshore
- Laborde Marine
- Lindblad Expeditions
- LMS Ship Management
- Moran Towing Company
- NOAA Pacific/Atlantic
- Overseas Shipholding Group
- Penn Maritime
- Resolve Marine
- Sause Bros.
- Scripps Institute of Oceanography
- Seawolf Marine
- Stabbert Maritime
- Starlight Marine
- TDI Brooks
- Tradewinds Towing
- United Ocean Services
- University of Washington
- Vane Brothers
- Weeks Marine
- Western Towboat Company