Home UK MCA › You are here

UK MCA Engine Room Rating (ERR) Requirements - Certificate of Proficiency

MCA Engine Room Rating Certificate of Proficiency (COP) Requirements for Working in the UK Registered Merchant Ships

mca engine room ratings

Engine Room Ratings are involved in assisting the up-keeping of the Engine Room, including maintaining the main engine, generator and auxiliary equipment, and more. They are responsible for - keeping all machinery spaces and equipment clean and free of hazards to ensure a safe working environment; understand the tasks to safely discharge or receive fuel, lube and dirty oils,

They are also responsible for - handling engine room chemicals; perform all watchkeeping duties assigned, standing fire watches, and becoming familiar with the layout of the vessel; perform or assist in all maintenance activities; maintain good mechanical skills and judgment, with the ability to follow written and oral instructions to name a few.

Every Rating forming part of an engine room watch, or with designated duties to perform in a periodically unmanned engine room, on a seagoing ship powered by main propulsion machinery of 750kW propulsion power or more, must be certificated to perform such duties.

engine room rating at work

You may also read: International Maritime Organisation (IMO) STCW Requirements for Ratings 

MCA General Requirements for Engine Room Rating

  • Meet the minimum age requirements (lowest minimum age is 16)
  • Complete the minimum period of seagoing service
  • A valid ENG1 (medical fitness certificate) or accepted equivalent
  • Complete the appropriate programs of education and training
  • Hold applicable ancillary and safety course certificates

MCA Engine Room Watch Rating (ERWR) Certificate (STCW A-III/4) Requirements

  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Have at least 6 months’ seagoing service on vessels2 with at least 350kW in propulsion power; this seagoing service can be reduced to 2 months with 'special training' i.e. when following an Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB)/ Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) approved or accepted qualification
  • Have completed the Basic Safety Training
  • Have completed the ERWR training record book or the relevant section of the MNTB training record book (TRB)
  • If you hold a Motorman or non-STCW ERWR Certificate and have appropriate seagoing service in the engineering department, of either 6 months’ seagoing service within the last 5 years; OR 3 months’ seagoing service within the last year. You can complete the Basic Safety Training to upgrade to an ERWR Certificate STCW Code section A-III/4.
  • You can obtain an ERWR Certificate from an MCA-approved or you can apply directly to the MCA’s Seafarer Training and Certification Branch

MCA Able Seafarer Engine Certificate (STCW A-III/5) Requirements

  • Be at least 18 years old;
  • Meet the requirements for certification as a UK Engine Room Watch Rating under the STCW Convention regulation III/4
  • While qualified to serve as a UK Engine Room Watch Rating, complete either - At least 6 months’ seagoing service on vessels with at least 350kW in propulsion power and approved training. The approved training can be the attainment of a Diploma in Maritime Studies Able Seafarer Engine Room (MSQ/MSA); OR 12 months’ seagoing service as a rating on vessels with at least 350kW in propulsion power and pass an MCA-approved Engine Course
  • Complete the relevant sections of the MNTB TRB while serving on board

Required Ancillary Safety Training for Engine Room Ratings

mca engine room rating courses
Table: Ancillary and Safety Course Certification for Engine Room Ratings - Credits: MCA

Disclaimer: For general information purpose - please check with MCA for the latest requirements and accurate info