Online Maritime Business, Law & Insurance Programs and Shipping Finance & Risk Management Courses for Shoreside Commercial Shipping Career
marinEd was established in Hamburg with support from the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce and the German Federal Employment Agency to provide relevant online education, skills development and information that improves shoreside awareness for seafarers who are transitioning from ship-to-shore globally.
Their customers now include reputable maritime companies, shipowners and ship managers who are aware of the advantages of good quality training for their shoreside personnel. The exceptional quality of the content of their courses and programs makes them a great choice for the continuing professional development of all shore-based employees and seafarers who are looking to progress their careers ashore.
marinEd’s online maritime professional development courses and programs take into account the feedback received from stakeholders in the maritime industry and their course leaders are renowned academics from reputable universities, mainly in the United Kingdom. This allows them to continuously add high quality, relevant content to their library, including short courses that address current issues and hot topics.
marinEd’s courses are engaging and interactive and the learning experience is continuously improved through the use of advanced analytics on their Learning Management System. marinEd believes that learning should be ‘relevant, efficient and effective’.
Online Training Programs
Online Maritime Career Certification Programs
- Commercial Maritime (Ship-to-Shore) Program (1 year access, 5 subjects): The program covers Maritime Law (Dry Shipping), Maritime Business, Shipping Finance and Risk Management, Marine Insurance, and Maritime Law (Wet Shipping)
- Program in Maritime Law and Marine Insurance (1 year access, 3 subjects):The program covers Maritime Law (Wet Shipping), Maritime Law (Dry Shipping) & Marine Insurance.
- Program in Maritime Business, Finance and Risk Management (1 year access, 2 subjects): The program covers Maritime Business and Shipping Finance and Risk Management.
Online Maritime Career Courses
- Shipping Finance and Risk Management: This course examines and discusses the sources of finance, company financial information, strategy and valuation, shipping cash flow analysis, the practice of risk management, derivatives and how to use them, financial markets mechanisms, the practice of shipping risk management and shipping freight derivatives and more.
- Maritime Business: This course looks at basic business models and tools - market competitiveness, profit maximisation, strategy and decision making, and data analytics. It also includes Shipping Freight Contracts, Business of Shipping, and Shipping Markets Dynamics and more.
- Maritime Law (Wet Shipping): Maritime Law (Wet Shipping) looks at liens, the different types of liens and the different rights they confer on the holders of liens, maritime liens, possessory liens, and equitable liens. It also includes collisions liabilities, Salvage and more.
- Maritime Law (Dry Shipping): This course covers the most important areas of dry law and look at bills of lading, common law undertakings, voyage charterparties, time charterparties, maritime arbitration and more.
- Marine Insurance: The course includes - The Core Principles of Marine Insurance, Marine Insurance Time and Voyage Policies, Insurable Interest and Perils of the Sea and General Average & Protection and Indemnity. The topics include - Utmost Good Faith, Warranties and Subrogation, Time Policies, Voyage Policies, Insurable Interest, Perils of the Sea, General Average, and Protection and Indemnity (P&I).
- Train the Simulator Trainer and Assessor: Train the Simulator Trainer and Assessor is based on the IMO model course 6.10. The course deals with the relevance of simulator in maritime training and the simulator pedagogy associated with the use of training on a maritime simulator.
Online Short Courses
- General Average and Protection and Indemnity: This short course looks at general average, its role in maritime practice, what constitutes general average and what is a general average contribution.
- Liens: This short course looks at liens, the different types of liens and the different rights they confer on the holders of liens.The focus will remain on maritime liens, possessory liens and equitable liens.
- Voyage Charterparties: This short course looks at what charterparties are and then shift the focus onto voyage charterparties like the payment obligations, freight etc.
- International Regimes on the Carriage of Goods: This short course looks at the common law undertakings, the reasons behind the Hague, and Hague/Visby Rules, the limitation regime under the Hague/Visby Rules and more.
- Shipping Market Dynamics: This course looks at dynamics of shipping business cycles and markets sentiments using a combination of tutorials and a case study.
- Bills of Lading: This short course looks at bills of lading, which is considered to be the most important document in the carriage of goods by sea.
- The Core Principles of Marine Insurance: This short course looks at some of the core principles of marine insurance such as uberrimae fidei, warranties, subrogation and more.
- Marine Insurance Time and Voyage Policies: This course looks at the two major types of marine insurance policies in use, namely time policies and voyage policies.
- Shipping Finance: Shipping finance examines the sources of finance, company financial information, strategy and valuation, shipping cash flow analysis.
- Business Models and Tools in Shipping: In business models and tools, four topics are covered - market competitiveness, profit maximization, strategy and decision making and data analytics.
- Insurable Interest and Perils of the Sea: This short course looks at the nature of marine insurance and what is insurable interest for the purposes of a marine insurance contract.
- The Business of Shipping: In the business of shipping, the importance of understanding shipping costs and the difference between shipping revenues and earnings are discussed.
- Shipping Risk Management: Shipping risk management discusses the practice of risk management, derivatives and how to use them, financial markets mechanisms and more.
- Shipping Freight Contracts: In this short course, different types of shipping freight contracts, we understand the responsibilities of the parties and define freight transactions are covered.
LAST UPDATED ON Oct 20, 2022