What is your Language? (Select to translate)
STCW Training and Certification Programs for Seafarers in Accordance with the IMO STCW Convention
STCW Training Courses are the result of 1978 convention by the International Maritime organization (IMO) - a UN body - calling on all seafaring nations to plan and devise a set of conventions for the safety, security, and various other aspects of maritime trade and transportation throughout the world. Prior to the introduction of STCW 1978, all officer and crew training was fully in the hands of flag states.
A high quality training and education is required for a professional mariner due to the nature of his /her work and hence, STCW was the outcome which was ratified by almost all seafaring nations for the welfare of the maritime industry, seafarer, and the ecosystem as a whole. Now, the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978, as amended in 1995 (STCW95 & STCW 2010), sets the standards of competence for seafarers worldwide.
Drawing on the expertise of the experts in the field, IMO has devised and formulated several Model Courses for maritime training institutes and guides the approved training intuitions (by national administration) to enhance the knowledge pool and capabilities for training the seafarers. These courses are delivered by several institutions around the globe in guidance with their local maritime administrations and, have become essential factor for the seafaring ecosystem.
List of STCW Courses for Seafarers
- Deck & Engine Officer Training Courses: STCW Deck and Engine Officer Courses, Leadership & Trainer, Assessment & Examinations, and Other Related Courses for Seafarers
- Basic Safety Training (BST) Program: STCW Basic Safety Training (BST) is required for seafarers employed or engaged in any capacity on board ship at all levels.
- Environment Related Training: Marine environment and energy efficient operations STCW courses for seafarers, management and other stakeholders
- Firefighting Courses: Basic and advanced firefighting courses under STCW for seafarers and designated personnel on shore.
- Maritime Safety Courses: Basic and advanced maritime safety courses under stcw for seafarers on passenger and merchant ships.
- Medical Courses: First aid and medical care courses and training under STCW for seafarers.
- GMDSS and Radio Courses: GMDSS technical and general operators courses and training under STCW for seafarers.
- Radar & Navigational Courses: Radar, ARPA, ECDIS, IBS & INS courses and training under STCW for seafarers.
- Maritime Security Courses: Maritime security courses and training under ISPS Code and STCW for seafarers and port security personnel.
- Ship Simulator Courses: STCW approved Bridge & Engine Room; LNG, Oil, & Chemical Tanker and other maritime simulator training courses for seafarers.
- Cargo Operations Courses: Liquefied Gas, Oil, & Chemical Tanker and other cargo operations training courses under STCW for seafarers.
- Ship Survey, Port State Control & SAR Courses: IMO Ship Survey, Port State Control (PSC) & Search and Rescue (SAR) courses for shipping, maritime administrations & ports officers