Career Focused Online International Trade, Trade Finance, Shipping Finance, Maritime Law, Insurance & Security Certifications for Onshore Career Development
A career at sea does not always mean working on the water. While some seafarers spend their whole career at sea, one could take it ashore. Whether you're a present or a former seagoing officer or rating, shipping companies and other companies in the marine industry require the skills and experience which are in great demand.
Seafarers bring solid technical and operational expertise to the table onshore. They can find opportunities in a variety of job functions. Marine services, commercial shipping, LNG shipping, strategic planning and analysis, human resources and global manning, technical shipping, operational and executive management are some areas one could look at for a career progression.
Typical shore-based posts include - surveying ships, ports and harbor management, pilotage, maritime education and training, maritime regulatory authorities, ship repair, marine equipment production, marine insurance, shipbroking and finance, classification, maritime law, shipping operations, safety, environmental, procurement and contracting and auditing, to name a few
With several online and classroom certifications on offer, mariners can look forward to a fruitful shore-side career if they carefully match their skills and expertise with an online course from reputed institutions. We have compiled some of the best online certifications on the offer for seafarers and non-seafarers looking for a career in maritime, shipping, and other related industries such as logistics and supply chain.
Career Training for Onshore Positions
International Trade & Finance
ICC Academy Online
ICC Academy is the training arm of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and delivers online certification and professional development services to meet the educational needs of professionals worldwide.
- Global Trade Certificate (GTC) Online: Learn the essentials of trade finance in the ICC Academy’s introductory-level, globally recognized, online certificate.
- Certified Trade Finance Professional (CTFP) Online: This is a unique program providing up-to-the-minute training and certification on key trade finance products, techniques and compliance issues.
- Incoterms® 2020 Certificate (INCO) Online: Develop a comprehensive understanding of the ICC’s premier international trading tool with the only ICC-endorsed online training on the Incoterms® 2020 rules.
- Export/Import Certificate (EIC) Online: Learn how to conduct international trade with ease and expertise and compete successfully in foreign markets.
- Free Trade Agreement Certificate (FTAC) Online: Access new markets, reduce costs and source suppliers at more competitive rates with the online certificate, designed to simplify the often difficult and legalistic FTA rules.
Shipping Finance, Maritime Law & Insurance
marinEd was established in Hamburg with support from the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce and the German Federal Employment Agency to provide relevant online education, skills development for seafarers who are transitioning from ship-to-shore globally.
- Shipping Finance and Risk Management Certification: This course examines and discusses the sources of finance, company financial information, strategy and valuation, shipping cash flow analysis and more.
- Maritime Business Certification: This course looks at basic business models and tools - market competitiveness, profit maximization, strategy and decision making, and data analytics.
- Maritime Law (Wet Shipping) Certification: This course covers the most important areas of wet shipping law and looks at liens, the different types of liens and also include topics such as collisions liabilities, Salvage and more.
- Maritime Law (Dry Shipping) Certification: This course covers the most important areas of dry law and look at bills of lading, common law undertakings, voyage charterparties, time charterparties, maritime arbitration and more.
- Marine Insurance Certification: This course analyses the UK Marine Insurance Act and the principles of marine insurance.
Maritime Security & Safety
Virtual Maritime Academy
Located in Canada, Virtual Maritime Academy (VMA) provides maritime training programs online and the maritime courses are developed with the approval of Transport Canada using the latest IMO Model course manuals.
- Company Security Officer (CSO): All maritime companies are required to appoint A Company Security Officer to take care of the ship’s safety and security. The CSO will be responsible for developing, maintaining and enforcing the company security policies as set out in the Ship Security Plan.
- Designated Person Ashore (DPA): As required by the ISM code, a Designated Person Ashore provides support for an efficient and effective Safety Management System onboard a vessel.