GWO Safety Training and Certification Programs, Courses and Assessments for the Wind Turbine Industry
Founded in 2012, Global Wind Organisation (GWO) is a non-profit body founded by wind turbine manufacturers and owners. GWO members strive for an injury free work environment in the wind turbine industry, setting common international standards for safety training and emergency procedures.
GWO training standards are courses that teach you to understand and reduce the risk associated with safety hazards in the wind turbine industry. This content is reviewed and updated by our committees including Training Committee, Audit & Compliance Committee, GWO North American Committee and GWO China Committee, to ensure a safe work environment for anyone working in the wind turbine industry.
Any individual with a GWO certificate in the Wind Industry Database (WINDA) is considered competent and knowledgeable according to the learning objectives of that standard. GWO members accept the certificate as confirmation the individual possesses the required knowledge and competences as described in the standard.
GWO also has developed a process to help you assess existing qualifications, training and curricula. 'Merit Assessment' gives you the tools and process to compare your courses with GWO standards (Gap Analysis). Your existing training can then be audited by a GWO-appointed certification body. By the end of the process, your training can be converted to a GWO certificate, with a record then uploaded into WINDA.
GWO Training Programs
Wind Turbine Industry Safety Training
- Basic Safety Training (BST): The GWO Basic Safety Training consists of five modules - First Aid, Manual Handling, Fire Awareness, Working at Heights, and Sea Survival.
- Basic Safety Training Online Partial Refresher (BSTR-P): As a refresher course, BSTR-P is only available for participants with an existing, valid (or expired within the stated extended flexibility period) BST or BSTR record in WINDA.
- Basic Safety Training Refresher (BSTR): The Basic Safety Training (Refresher) Standard is to be completed every two years for an individual's certification to remain valid.
- Wind Turbine Lift User Training (LU): Participants will learn about their responsibility in the safe use of lifts, including inspection prior to use, practical operation, and evacuation of lifts and how to shut down lifts safely and responsibly after use.
- Basic Technical Training (BTT): The GWO Basic Technical Training consists of three modules and an additional installation module which can be taken after certification in the mechanical module.
- Advanced Rescue Training (ART): This course controls the risks associated with rescue operations, ensuring a more efficient rescue operation from a wind turbine.
- Advanced Rescue Refresher Training: It include - Hub, Spinner & Inside Blade Rescue Refresher & Nacelle, Tower, Basement Rescue including Working at Heights Refresher and Manual Handling Refresher
- Enhanced First Aid Training (EFA): The training enables the Course Participants to support and care for others working in the industry.
- Enhanced First Aid Refresher Training (EFAR): This training is for existing Enhanced First Aid certificate holders to refresh their training
- Blade Repair Training (BR): The training enables the participant to support and care for themselves and others working in the wind industry.
- Slinger Signaller / Rigger Signal Person (SLS): The training enables the participant to support and care for themselves and others by possessing the required knowledge and skills.
Disclaimer: For general information purpose only - please check with GWO for latest and accurate information