GWO Basic Safety Training Online Partial Refresher (BSTR-P) for Personnel Who are Working in the Wind Industry or Related Fields
The COVID-19 viral pandemic has caused widespread disruption globally and has, in many regions, prevented technicians from attending GWO refresher training leading to a safety risk imposed through skills and knowledge fade within the wind industry.
To mitigate against the fading of skills and knowledge amongst technicians GWO have analyzed the basic safety refresher modules and released this interim standard as a way for already trained technicians to continue to work safely by enabling the technicians on site to practice the knowledge and skills that they have learned during GWO training and apply this to their daily work tasks.
The GWO Basic Safety Training Online Partial Refresher (BSTR-P) training describes the requirements for basic safety training partial refresher courses that are recommended by the members of GWO. This training covers parts of the following five modules - First Aid, Manual Handling, Fire Awareness, Working at Height, and Sea Survival.
The members of the Global Wind Organisation (GWO) recognize trained persons as competent within Basic Safety in the wind industry and accept the trained person as possessing the required knowledge to stop an unsafe work situation where they as duty-holders are accountable for safety.
The aim of BSTR-P is to reduce the risk of injury in the wind industry by reviewing, refreshing and building on previously gained knowledge and skills from GWO BST initial or refresher training.
- Duration: Approx. 17 hours
- Validity: The BSTR-P has a validity of six months from the date of previous expiry
- Prerequisites: BSTR-P is only available for participants with an existing, valid (or expired within the stated extended flexibility period) BST or BSTR record in WINDA.
BST Online Partial Refresher (BSTRP)
GWO Online BSTRP Courses
- Module 1 - First Aid (4 hours 15 minutes): The aim of this BSTR-P First aid partial refresher module is to review and build on previously gained knowledge and skills from GWO BST First aid training through theoretical and practical training so that course participants can administer safe and effective first aid in the wind industry and the wind turbine environment.
- Module 2 - Manual Handling (2 hours 35 minutes): The aim of this module is to develop a positive manual handling and ergonomic mindset, encourage course participants to consider alternatives to manual handling through planning and to train the course participants ability and attitude to perform manual handling tasks in a safe manner in the wind industry and wind turbine environment.
- Module 3 - Fire Awareness (2 hours 10 minutes): The aim of this course is to give the participants the basic knowledge and skills through theoretical and practical training. Course participants should be able to prevent fires, make appropriate judgements when evaluating a fire, manage evacuation of personnel and ensure all are safely accounted for in the event of an unmanageable fire. If the incident is judged to be safe, the delegates should be able to efficiently extinguish an initial fire by using basic hand-held firefighting equipment.
- Module 4 - Working at Heights (3 hours 35 minutes): The aim of this BSTR-P Working at heights partial refresher module is to review and build on previously gained knowledge and skills through theoretical and practical training so that course participants can use basic personal protective equipment and perform safe work at heights and safe and comprehensive basic rescue from heights in the wind industry and in a wind turbine environment.
- Module 5 - Sea Survival (4 hours 40 minutes): The aim of this BSTR-P Sea survival partial refresher training course is to refresh the participants basic knowledge to enable them to act safely and take the correct preventive actions in all aspects of offshore operations from shore to installation vessel or WTG and vice versa, both during normal operation and in an emergency in an offshore wind energy environment.
Disclaimer: For general information purpose only - please check with GWO for the latest and accurate information on Training Standards
Last Updated: May 28, 2021