Transport Canada Approved & ISM Manadated Designated Person Ashore (DPA) Certification Online by VMA
The Designated Person Ashore (DPA) provides the structure and support for an efficient and effective Safety Management System (SMS) onboard a vessel. A DPA is responsible to ensure the company’s marine fleet is meeting or exceeding all applicable marine regulations. The DPA is especially designated to ensure a reliable connection between the company and the crew and to supervise the safe operation of the vessel
According ISM Code of the IMO, every Company should designate a person or persons ashore having direct access to the highest level of management for all commercial vessels over 500GT. The responsibility and authority of the designated person or persons should include monitoring the safety and also the pollution prevention aspects of the operation of each ship and ensure adequate resources and shore-based support are applied, as required.
The Virtual Maritime Academy (VMA) online course provides comprehensive training related to the implementation and maintenance of a company’s SMS in compliance with the requirements of the ISM Code. Other regulations addressed in this course are - Safety of Life At Sea Convention (SOLAS), Maritime Labour Convention (MLC), and STCW.
This course is designed for people that are already in the Maritime Industry and also the certification could help to find a job in a maritime company onshore.
DPA Certification Online
- The Designated Person Ashore (DPA) course is intended for anyone who seeks a DPA position, Nautical Officers, engineers, Superintendents, Shipping Companies, Assistant DPA’s, Quality Managers and Personnel involved in Safety Management Systems.
- The course lasts for approximately 14 hours
- The course is fully online and there is no requirement to attend the assessments in a classroom.
- The learners are required to submit their official Photo ID which is required by Transport Canada.
- Upon successful completion of the online course, a hard copy will be mailed without any charges.
DPA Course Content
- Understanding of the ISM Code
- Requirements for the company’s SMS
- Duties of a DPA as defined in IMO MSC - MEPC.7 Circ 6 provided you are qualified according to this circular
- Requirements included STCW 2010 and MLC 2006 for better understanding of ISM effect
- Understand the background and objectives of the Code
- Guidance for participation in a marine-related management system audit
- Shipping and shipboard operations
- Applicable convention, codes, guidelines and standards as appropriate and the relevant mandatory rules and regulations
- Responsibilities and authority of the DPA, possible legal exposure, as well as other potential difficulties
- Effective communications with shipboard staff and senior management
- Assessment techniques of examining, questioning, evaluating and reporting
- Documentary evidence as a DPA proving that you are capable to undertake the necessary duties
- Technical and operational aspects of their Safety Management System
- Plus more
LAST UPDATED ON Oct 17, 2021