UGCG Approved Online OUPV / Six-pack Captain’s License and Endorsements with Mariners Learning System (MLS)
Located in Pennington NJ, Mariners Learning System (MLS) provides U.S. Coast Guard Certified Licensing Courses with their flexible online training. With more than 25,000 students enrolled, a success rate of over 98% and the flexibility to study at your own pace, Mariners Learning System™ is one the best choice for obtaining your Captain’s License and is very popular among license aspirants. You may take a 24-hour free trial to start with.
The USCG Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV/Six-pack Captain's License) is required for those wishing to offer fishing and sailing charters, drive a dive boat, or run sightseeing tours. This license allows the holder to carry up to six paying passengers on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons (75-90 feet long). There are three licenses depending on your experience and restrictions.
- The OUPV Inland License is restricted to operation shoreward of the boundary line (lakes, bays, rivers, sounds), excluding the Great Lakes. This license requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, with 90 of the 360 days occurring in the last three years.
- OUPV Great Lakes & Inland License has an endorsement for Great Lakes and requires 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels with 90 days service on the Great Lakes.
- OUPV Near Coastal License enables one to cruise up to 100 miles offshore, Great Lakes and inland waters of the U.S. and its territories. This license requires 360 days of documented experience and 90 of which must be gained seaward of the boundary line.
OUPV Captain's License Requirements
- Age: 18 years
- TWIC Card
- Physical Examination taken within 12 months
- Drug Test taken within 6 months
- CPR/First Aid training taken within 12 months
- Completion of the course approved by the Coast Guard (Six-pack/OUPV)
- Complete a USCG original license application package
- A U.S. citizen or be able to show lawful admittance to the United States for permanent residence if not a citizen.
- Learn more
MLS OUPV / Six-pack Program Online
Captain's License Program Outline
- OUPV/Six-pack Captain's License Online: The OUPV/Six-Pack is the most popular of the captain's license courses and is required for those who wish to operate fishing, sailing charters SCUBA diving boat, or offer cruise tours. The MLS OUPV/Six-pack Captain's License is Coast Guard Approved and the captain’s licensing courses are online. The course can be taken at home or on the go with flexible and convenient training at your schedule.
- Training: By providing a methodical, well-organized program of professionally produced - on-demand lectures online, videos, and companion materials, the students are able to absorb and retain what they have learned.
- Subjects: Navigational Rules of the Road, Aids to Navigation & Chart Plotting, Electronic Navigation, Characteristics of Weather Systems, and Lifesaving Equipment & Safety.
- Exam Modules: Rules of the Road (50 questions with 90% pass score); Plotting (10 questions with 90% pass score; Navigation General (50 questions with 70% pass score); and Deck General (50 questions with 70% pass score).
- Online or In-Person License Testing: Mariners Learning System has Coast Guard approved testing facilities located throughout the country and provides two ways to take your final proctored exam. You can take your exam online through MLS system or sign up to have your exam in-person at one of MLS approved testing facilities.
- Towing Endorsement: The Towing Endorsement is required if you will be engaged in towing a disabled vessel for payment.
- MLS Deluxe Edition: The Deluxe Edition of the course includes everything offered in the Digital Edition plus Hardcopy Study Guides, a Deluxe Navigators Tool Set, and an MLS Classic Briefcase Bag.
- OUPV Captain / Master Current Job Opportunities: Please check for the latest job opportunities for licensed captains and masters.
Free Trial - OUPV/Six-Pack License Course
- Free Trial: With MLS, you can take the approved USCG OUPV Captain's or 25/50/100 Ton Master License course 24-hour Free Trial without any obligation.