Translate to Your Language
U.S. Coast Guard Requirements for Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV or 6 Pack License) Less Than 100 GRT
The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) License (Charter Boat Captains License or 6 Pack License) allows the holder to Captain uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons (roughly 75-90 feet long). An uninspected passenger vessel is any vessel carrying six or fewer passengers for hire. The term ‘uninspected’ refers to the provision under the Passenger Vessel Act of 1993 that vessels carrying six or fewer passengers do not require an inspection by the Coast Guard. They are still expected to comply with the law and carry all required equipment and have a USCG licensed captain.
Most pleasure vessels are in the uninspected vessel category and these vessels are limited to 6 paying passengers plus crew. OUPV Inland License (lakes, bays, rivers, sounds) is restricted to operation shoreward of the boundary line, excluding the Great Lakes. OUPV Great Lakes is the endorsement for Great Lakes, and OUPV Near Coastal which enables one to cruise up to 100 miles offshore, Great Lakes and inland waters of the U.S. and its territories.
The OUPV 6-Pack License is the lowest level of Deck officer endorsement of the Merchant Marine Credential. There are other endorsements of licenses such as Limited OUPV (for formal camps, yacht clubs, educational institutions, and marinas), Restricted OUPV (restricted to a specific body of water as approved by the OCMI), Limited OUPV (this is to satisfy the unique qualification requirements of an applicant or distinct group of mariners per 11.201(l)) etc. Please refer to our Limited Master/OUPV Section for more information.
The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) License (6 Pack License) allows the holder to Captain uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons with a maximum of 6 passengers
OUPV or 6 Pack General Requirements
- Age: 18
- Medical Certificate
- Drug Testing Compliance
- Sea Service Letters or Discharges
USCG OUPV or 6 Pack License Less Than 100 GRT Requirements
Sea Service Requirements
- Recency: 90 days in the past 3 years on vessels
- OUPV Near Coastal: 360 days in the operation of vessels, OF WHICH 90 days of service on Ocean, Near Coastal or Great Lakes waters
- OUPV Great Lakes: 360 days of service, OF WHICH 90 days operating vessels on Great Lakes waters
- OUPV Inland: 360 days in the operation of vessels
- Note (1): OUPV Limited to Undocumented Vessels, may be issued to non U. S. Citizens.
- Note (2): An applicant, who speaks Spanish, but not English, may be issued an OUPV Restricted to Navigable Waters of the United States in the vicinity of Puerto Rico.
Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement
- Complete CG exams or Approved course
- First Aid
Disclaimer: For general information purpose - please check with USCG for the latest requirements and accurate info