A Guide to Norwegian Maritime Authority (NMA) Certification Process for Seafarers on Ships Registered In the Norwegian Ship Register (NOR)
Headquartered in Haugesund Norway, the Norwegian Maritime Authority (NMA) is the administrative and supervisory authority in matters related to safety of life, health, material values and the environment on vessels flying the Norwegian flag and foreign ships in Norwegian waters. The NMA is also responsible for ensuring the legal protection of Norwegian-registered ships and registered rights in those ships. The NMA is subordinate to the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries and the Ministry of Climate and Environment.
NMA issues Certificate of Competency and Certificate of Proficiency for Norwegian seafarers who work on shipsregistered In the Norwegian Ship Register (NOR). With over 330 employees, NMA has presence in 8 regions with 17 regional and district offices along the coast & a welfare station abroad
How to Obtain Norwegian CoC
- Applications for certificates of competency, certificates of proficiency and qualification documents must be submitted to the Norwegian Maritime Authority on the prescribed application form.
- Applications for certificates of competency for radio operators operating in the GMDSS system must be submitted to Telenor Kystradio, who issues these.
- Applications for the issue of certificates of competency and certificates of proficiency must be submitted within five years after the issuance of a diploma.
- You can apply online for the maritime certificates and the processing time is 2-4 weeks.
NMA Seafarer Certificate Requirements
- Deck Officer Class 1 (Master Mariner)
- Deck Officer Class 2 (Chief Mate Unlimited)
- Deck Officer Class 3
- Deck Officer Class 4
- Deck Officer Class 5
- Deck Ratings: Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch and Able Seafarer (Deck)
- Engineer Officer Class 1 (Chief Engineer)
- Engineer Officer Class 2 (Second Engineer)
- Engineer Officer Class 3
- Engineer Officer Class 4
- Electro-Technical Officer
- Engineer Ratings: Rating Forming Part of a Engineering Watch, Able Seafarer (Engine), and Electro-technical Rating
- Pleasure Craft Certificate
- Seafarer Polar Code Requirements
- Seafarer Requirements for Oil and Chemical Tanker & Gas Carrier
- Recognition of Foreign Seafarer Certificates and Training
Dsclaimer: For general information purpose only. Please check with NMA for the latest and accurate information
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 10, 2019