Pick Your Language (Translate)
Norwegian Deck Rating Requirements (General, Sea Service and STCW) for Ratings Forming Part of Navigational Watch (RFPNW) and Able Seafarer Deck
The Norwegian Maritime Authority (NMA) requires that seafarers forming part of a navigational watch on seagoing ships of 500 gross tonnage or more shall hold a Certificate of Proficiency (CoP) for ratings forming part of a navigational watch or a relevant Certificate of Competency Deck Officer. Seafarers who are to serve as able seafarer deck on seagoing ships of 500 gross tonnage or more shall hold the Certificate of Proficiency Able Seafarer - Deck.
Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFP-NW) is a qualified rating and Certificate of Proficiency or Endorsement, designed to fulfill the requirements of regulation II/4 of the STCW Convention. Able Seafarer - Deck certificate corresponds with a certificate issued under regulation II/5 of the STCW Convention as amended in 2010.
- Age: 16 years for RFP-NW and 18 years for Able Seafarer - Deck
- Documented seagoing service and/or approved training
- A valid medical certificate for employees on ships
- Competence shall be assessed by an assessor
- Document competency in accordance with Annex III table A-II/4
- Either have at least six months of seagoing service with watchkeeping duties on seagoing ships or have completed special training which includes at least two months on seagoing ships.
- Seagoing service pursuant to this provision shall be related to functions in the navigational watch and include duties which are carried out under the direct supervision of the master, officer in charge of a navigational watch or other qualified crew.
RFPNW Requirement Alternatives
Table: NMA RFPNW Requirement Alternatives - Source: NMA
- Meet the requirements to be issued with the Certificate of Proficiency for ratings forming part of a navigational
- Document competence in accordance with Annex III table A-II/5
- Have at least 18 months of seagoing service on deck on seagoing ships or have completed approved training and at least 12 months of seagoing service on deck on seagoing ships. Training in accordance with the last alternative shall be documented in an approved training record book.
- Persons who can also document completed training in subjects covering Annex II table A-VI/6-1 and 6-2 may be issued with a certificate of proficiency which includes competence in security awareness.
Able Seafarer Deck Requirement Alternatives
Dsclaimer: For general information purpose only. Please check with NMA for the latest and accurate information