General Requirements, STCW Certificates, Endorsements & Training Required for Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW)
Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW) is a qualified rating and Certificate of Competency or Endorsement, designed to fulfill the requirements of Regulation II/4 of the STCW Convention in the deck department of an ocean going vessel. For all on ocean going vessels of 500 GT or more, RFPNW is to be duly certified to perform the duties of navigational watch. This includes entry level ratings standing navigational watches such as lookout watches.
It is also required by the personnel serving in a maintenance department when those persons are mandated by the Certificate of Inspection or manning document to be qualified to augment the watch.
An RFPNW contributes to a safe navigational watch and has the knowledge, understanding, proficiency, and ability to understand orders and to communicate with the officer of the watch in matters relevant to watch keeping duties; procedures for the relief, maintenance, and handover of a watch; and information required to maintain a safe watch.
You may also read:
- USCG STCW Endorsement Requirements for RFPNW
- UK MCA Deck Rating
- Australia AMSA Navigational Watch Rating
- Maritime NZ Deck Watch Rating
- STCW Code
An RFPNW contributes to a safe navigational watch and has the knowledge, understanding, proficiency, and ability to understand orders and to communicate with the officer of the watch
General Requirements to Obtain a Certificate of Competency as a RFPNW
Applies only for service on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more. The rating must:
- Age: be not less than 16 years of age.
- Seagoing Service: have completed approved seagoing service, including not less than six months' training and experience, or
- Education & Training: have received special training, either pre-sea or onboard ship, including an approved period of seagoing service which shall not be less than two months; and
- Competence: meet the standard of competence specified in section A-II/4.
STCW Certificates, Endorsements & Training Required for RFPNW
Table: RFPNW certificates and training requirements. Credits: ITWF