Translate to Your Language
General Requirements, STCW Certificates & Training Required for Able Seafarer Engine (ABE) / AB Engine
The Able Seafarer Engine (ABE) STCW certification corresponds with regulation III/5 of the STCW for Seafarers 78 and as amended in 2010. With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of an engine rating forming part of a navigational watch on ships of any gross tonnage in any operating area.
Duties involved as ABE or ABE Engine as follows but not limited to - marine engineering at the support level; electrical, electronic and control engineering at the support level; maintenance and repair at the support level; and controlling the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the support level.
Also the Able Seafarer Engine may be employed on watch keeping or day work duties at the discretion of the Vessel Chief Engineer; shall be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the equipment and cleanliness of the areas for which he has been allocated responsibility; shall be familiar with his duties in an emergency situation and he must abide company procedures, policies and instructions; and more.
You may also read:
- USCG Requirements for Able Seafarer Engine
- UK MCA Requirements for Able Seafarer Engine
- Maritime NZ Able Seafarer Engine Requirements
Able Seafarer Engine is a qualified rating in accordance with the provisions of regulation 111/5 of the STCW Convention
Requirements to Obtain a Certificate of Competency as an AB Engine
Applies only for service on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more. The ABE must:
- Age: be not less than 18 years of age.
- Meet the requirements for certification as a rating forming part of a engine watch.
- Seagoing Service: have completed 12 months approved seagoing service in the deck department, or six months and completed approved training.
- Education & Training: onboard training documented in a training book or approved training ashore with a minimum of 12 months sea service.
- Competence: meet the standard of competence specified in section A-III/5.
- Note: There are alternative training options for integrated ratings in A-VII/2 and seafarers should make enquires with their national administrations.
STCW Certificates & Training Required for ABE
Table:ABE certificates and training requirements. Credits: ITWF