Transport Canada Approved Maritime Security, Safety Management, Leadership & Managerial and Internal Auditor Courses Under ISPS, ISM and STCW Online
Established in 2019 and located in Quebec, Canada, Virtual Maritime Academy (VMA) provides Transport Canada approved and STCW compliant maritime training programs completely online. The maritime courses are developed with the approval of Transport Canada using the latest IMO Model course manuals.
VMA is the first fully online Transport Canada recognized STCW Maritime training institution and it meets or exceeds IMO, STCW and ISPS standards for maritime training. The courses are offered on-demand and can be done from anywhere in the world. The assessments and test are also fully online. A proctor is appointed for your virtual assessment and it can be completed with a stable internet connection, web cam and a computer/laptop.
Virtual Maritime Academy offers a complete set of Maritime Security, Leadership and Management, and Internal Auditor courses which conforms to the STCW, ISM, ISPS and MLC also offer. Please see below the courses offered and planning to offer in the future.
Maritime Training Programs Online
STCW / ISPS Maritime Security Courses
- Vessel Personnel without Security Responsibilities (VPWOSR or PSA) (5.5 hours): This certification is a must for all personnel in a shipping vessel who do not have a Designated Security Duty. This training is required for all vessels and personnel under STCW Section VI/6-1 under the STCW convention and code. There are multiple choice quizzes at the end of each chapter with a final assessment.
- Vessel Personnel with Security Responsibilities (VPWSR or PDSD) (11.25 hours): This certification is required for the personnel who have entrusted with security duties according to the Ship Security Plan. This training is required for all vessels and personnel under STCW Section VI/6 under the STCW convention and code. There are multiple choice quizzes at the end of each chapter with a final assessment.
- Company Security Officer (CSO) (20 hours): All maritime companies are required to appoint A Company Security Officer to take care of the ship’s safety and security. The CSO will be responsible for developing, maintaining and enforcing the company security policies as set out in the Ship Security Plan. The course assessments are done with 3 multiple choice quizzes at the end of each chapter and a final assessment.
- Vessel/Ship Security Officer (VSO/SSO) (21 hours): A VSO or SSO is appointed by the master of a vessel for ensuring the security of the ship and is responsible for overall management and oversight of all shipboard security policies, programs and procedures as set out in the Ship Security Plan. The course assessments are done with 3 multiple choice quizzes at the end of each chapter and a final assessment.
- Port Facility Security Officer (PFSO) (18 hours): Under ISPS, all ports are required to have an appointed Port Facility Security Officer (PFSO) who is responsible for development, implementation, revision, and maintenance of the Port Facility Security Plan (PFSP). A Port security officer is responsible for the protection of people, properties, and information at the port. The course assessments are done with 3 multiple choice quizzes at the end of each chapter and a final assessment.
STCW / ISM / MLC Maritime Courses
- Designated Person Ashore (DPA) (14 hours): As required by the ISM code, a Designated Person Ashore provides support for an efficient and effective Safety Management System onboard a vessel. Apart from ensuring that the vessel is operated safely, the DPA is the direct connection between the shipping company and onboard crew. There are multiple choice quizzes at the end of each chapter with a final assessment.
- Use of Leadership and Managerial Skills (40 hours) - Coming soon: This course focusses on the human factor and provides the seafarer with leadership and managerial training in order to control the operations of the ship and take care of the people onboard. This training based on IMO Model Course 1.40 (TP 15337) and STCW Sections II/2 & III/2 under the STCW convention and code.
- ISM-ISPC-MLC Internal Auditor (14 hours) - Coming soon: This course is based on IMO, ISM, and MLC guidance for the personnel who is appointed as an Internal Auditor to understand her/his roles and responsibilities to audit the vessel.
LAST UPDATED ON Feb 22, 2022