Pick Your Language (Translate)
Norwegian Maritime Authority (NMA) Deck Officer Class 1 (Master Mariner) CoC Requirements (General, Sea Service and STCW)
The Norwegian Maritime Authority (NMA) Certificate of Competency Deck Officer Class 1 entitles the holder to serve on ships, irrespective of gross tonnage and trade area, as Officer in charge of a Watch; Chief Mate; and Master. The Certificate of Competency Deck Officer Class 1 gives the holder the exclusive right to the title Master Mariner.
A Master Mariner is the professional qualification required for someone to serve as the Captain of a commercial vessel of any size, of any type, operating anywhere in the world. Masters, also known as Captains, are in overall command of the ship and are responsible for the safety, efficiency and commercial feasibility of the ship.
- Deck Officer General Requirements
- Deck Officer Class 1 Requirements
- STCW Certificate Requirements
- Deck Officer Class 1 Requirement Alternatives
This qualification enables you to work as Deck Officer Class 1 (Master Mariner) in Norway registered ships anywhere in the world
- Age: 20 years
- Documented seagoing service and education in accordance with the relevant certificate class
- A valid medical certificate for employees on ships
- Competence shall be assessed by an assessor
The NMA Certificate of Competency Deck Officer Class 1 entitles the holder to work anywhere as:
- Officer in Charge of a Watch Unlimited
- Chief Mate Unlimited
- Master Mariner (Master Unlimited)
Norway Deck Officer Class 1 Sea Service Requirements
- In order to be issued with the Certificate of Competency Deck Officer Class 1, the applicant must, in addition to meeting the requirements of Deck Officers Class 5, Class 4, Class 3, and Class2; AND
- Have at least 36 months of seagoing service as officer in charge of a watch on seagoing ships of 500 gross tonnage or more. Such seagoing service is reduced to 24 months if at least 12 months are served as chief mate on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.
Table: NMA Deck Officer Class 1 Alternatives Source: NMA
Dsclaimer: For general information purpose only. Please check with NMA for the latest and accurate information