Translate to Your Language
First Aid and Medical Care Courses and Training under STCW for Seafarers
The International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW78) with subsequent amendments (STCW95 & STCW 2010) requires every seafarer shall hold a valid medical certificate issued in accordance with the provisions of Regulation I/9 and of Section A-I/9 of the STCW Code.
These Guidelines have been endorsed by International Labour Organization (ILO) and the IMO Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) to provide complementary advice to national maritime administrations, medical practitioners and organizations in the shipping industry on the application of the MLC 2006, and the STCW Convention, with reference to the health of seafarers for safety at sea.
The medical programs cover first aid and medical training with equipment to enable students to gain hands on experience with equipment found on board ship. The first aid and medical care courses give students the opportunity to gain knowledge to allow them to take control of medical care onboard a ship, as well as gaining the theory to support these practical skills.
STCW Medical Courses
- Elementary First Aid (1 day course): This model course provides training in elementary first aid at the support level and is based on the provisions of table A-VI/1-3 of the STCW Code. This course is one of the mandatory STCW Basic Safety Training courses designed to meet the minimum requirement for familiarization and basic safety training for seafarers with designated emergency duties.
- Medical Care (5 day course): This two-volume model course provides training in elementary first aid at management level and is based on the provisions of table A-VI/4-2 of the STCW Code. This course is for seafarers designated to take charge of medical care on board ship and for those requiring certificates of competency. On completion participants acquires sufficient knowledge of medical stores and equipment on board.
- Medical First Aid (4-5 day course): This model course provides training in elementary first aid at operator’s level and is based on the provisions of table A-VI/4-1 of the STCW Code. This course is for seafarers designated to provide first aid on-board and those needing certificates of competency. Participants will gain sufficient knowledge to take emergency duties in the case of injury or illness on the ship.
- Validity (above certificates): varies on duties involved and local laws. Please check local maritime administration guidelines.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS UNDER STCW 2010
- Training may take the form of e-learning, shipboard drills and training or shore based training
- Following courses require refresher training every five years: Medical Care