Supply Chain Management Education at College of Business and Economics (COBE)
Established in 1932, Boise State University (BSU) is the largest institution of higher learning in Idaho. It is located in the middle of one of the most vibrant and livable cities in America and the governmental and commercial center of the Gem State. Boise State has long been heralded as an institution devoted to excellence in classroom teaching, but a new dimension to its mission is emerging—that of a Metropolitan Research University of Distinction.
Although there are other institutions of higher education in the region, Boise State University is the only “full-service,” comprehensive state university in the region. As defined by the Idaho State Board of Education, it is Boise State’s role and mission to be a “comprehensive, urban university serving a diverse population through undergraduate and graduate programs, research, and state and regional public service.”
The Supply Chain Management (SCM) program at Boise State has a reputation for being one of the most comprehensive and respected operations programs in the western United States. Outstanding students are attracted by the program’s rigor and marketability with employers.
- BBA in Supply Chain Management: The Supply Chain Management (SCM) program integrates operational processes from functional areas of the business with analytical techniques and skills necessary to manage the movement of products and ser vices through the organization. Classes emphasize real applications and interaction with practitioners from local businesses and government. The SCM major prepares students for work with both quality and customer issues in service and manufacturing areas involving supply-chain management, manufacturing scheduling and lean manufacturing systems, inventory control, and uses of technology and quantitative modeling and forecasting. Students can add depth to their study through internships and independent study.
BOISE STATE Features
Idaho’s state capital and center of business, Boise is the largest metropolitan area between Portland, Oregon, and Salt Lake City, Utah. Set against a backdrop of the Rocky Mountain foothills, Boise is one of the most attractive and enjoyable cities in the nation. As a growing city of more than 211,000 people, Boise enjoys a varied economy based on high technology, agricultural products, tourism, government agencies, and manufacturing.
- Campus: Boise State University’s 113-acre main campus is bordered to the north by the Boise River, to the south by University Drive, to the east by Broadway Avenue, and to the west by Ann Morrison Park. Step across the footbridge spanning the Boise River, and you are in the open green space of Julia Davis Park, home to the Idaho State Historical Museum, the Boise Art Museum, and Zoo Boise. Just a few minutes’ walk from campus is downtown Boise, where you will find inviting shops, fine restaurants, and vibrant nightlife.
- Accreditation: Boise State University is a member of and is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Boise State College of Business and Economics Baccalaureate and Graduate Programs are fully accredited in business and accounting by AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- Students: Each semester, Boise State University enrolls nearly 20,000 students in its academic programs. Students come to Boise State University from every county in Idaho, from nearly every state in the nation, and from numerous foreign countries. The university’s urban setting attracts and complements this diverse student body, which includes many nontraditional students as well as traditional students enrolling directly from high school.
- Internships: The department Internship program is an excellent way to get on-the-job experience and explore the variety of career options in your chosen field. Plus, you will receive course credit for approved internships and be paid for your efforts.
- Supply Chain Jobs: Examples of job titles associated with Supply Chain Management are: Quality Management Specialist, Vendor Relations Manager, Production Planner, Logistics Analyst, Materials Management, Purchasing Specialist and many more.
- Salaries: The Supply Chain Management major has among the highest placement rates and starting salaries of any major in the College of Business and Economics. Salaries in the SCM field vary with responsibilities and experience. DC Velocity’s annual salary survey for 2009 states “the median salary of newcomers to the profession (those with five or fewer years of experience in logistics) was ,650.
- The Career Center: The Career Center provides career planning and employment services to all Boise State students and alumni. These services include career decision making and major exploration, employment assistance (resume and cover letter review, interview training, professional networking and job search advising), and coordination of the University’s internship program.
- International Learning Opportunities/Education Abroad: Students at Boise State University have the opportunity to participate in academic programs at universities throughout the world. There are summer, semester, and academic year options for which students receive academic credit at Boise State with predeparture planning and approval. The opportunities are affordable (with both financial aid and scholarships available), and there are sites in both English-speaking countries and those where students can enhance their foreign language skills.
- National Student Exchange Program: Involving nearly 200 colleges and universities, the National Student Exchange Program enables students to spend up to one year attending one of the host institutions located in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or Guam. While attending the host institution, students may pay either the current Boise State fees or in-state tuition at the host school. Credits and grades earned at the host institution are recorded at the home campus as part of the student’s regular transcript.
LAST UPDATED ON Mar 27, 2017