Maritime Transportation and Transportation Planning Education & Maritime Training Certification Programs at TSU Houston, TX
Established in 1927, Texas Southern University (TSU) is located in the heart of Houston with a 150 acre campus and home to nearly 10,000 students with more than 100 undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs. TSU academic curriculum is organized into eleven colleges, 80-plus student organizations, and an extensive alumni network comprised of educators, entrepreneurs, public servants, lawyers, pilots, artists, and more. TSU is one of only four independent public universities in Texas and the only HBCU in Texas recognized as one of America's Top Colleges by Forbes magazine.
The Department of Transportation Studies at CSET has a mission to provide comprehensive transportation education that builds on the latest data, systems and technologies.Currently the Department offers programs in Maritime and Transportation Management which are designed to train students for successful careers in the various field of transportation. For those pursuing management careers, TSU transportation programs have strong foundations in transportation principles, economics and finance, logistics, homeland security, and transportation policy and management.
TSU Maritime has designed and administers Maritime Certification Programs consistent with the mission of the National Maritime Center (NMC) to issue credentials to mariners who are fully compliant with current regulations in the most effective and efficient manner possible. All courses have been approved by the USCG and upon training & exams completion seafarers and students will receive a TSU Maritime Certificate of Training, valid for 5 years.
- BS in Maritime Transportation Management and Security: The curriculum of study for the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Maritime Transportation Management and Security provides students with three concentrations: Logistics/Freight, Security, and Environment. he mission of the B.S. Program in Maritime Transportation Management and Security is to produce graduates for a variety of administrative and managerial positions in maritime transportation and port operations, to produce graduates to function effectively in a number of diverse careers in three critical areas of maritime transportation: logistics, security, and environment, to provide students with the academic background and preparation for pursuing advanced studies in the field of maritime transportation or affiliated areas, and , to provide training programs and individual courses to individuals already in the maritime profession.
- MS in Transportation Planning and Management: Graduate study in Transportation Planning and Management at Texas Southern University focuses on developing an interdisciplinary program, which is designed to train outstanding students for successful careers in the field of transportation. Through a rigorous graduate program of instruction, students can develop analytical and problem-solving, design, planning and systems analysis as well as appropriate research skills for use in public and private transportation-related agencies and organizations. Majors in transportation are provided with unique opportunities to work with transportation experts through the Innovative Transportation Research Institute (ITRI), Center for Transportation Training and Research (CTTR) and National Transportation Security Center of Excellence for Petro-Chemical Transportation (NTSCOE-P). These centers provide programs or training with specialized internships and research exposure through on-going applied and empirical research and demonstration activities.
- PhD Programs Focusing on Transportation Studies: The Department of Transportation Studies is affiliated with two Ph.D. Programs. One is the Environmental Toxicology (E-Tox) Ph.D. Program focusing on transportation impacts on environmental and public health; another one is the Urban Planning and Environmental Policy (UPEP) Ph.D. Program focusing on transportation planning and environmental protection.
TSU Maritime Certifications
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities (1 day): This training course consists of 8 hours of in-class theories and practical training/drills on the STCW-95 safety procedures and accident prevention. Participants will learn how to identify and act effectively under different types of Emergencies. A number of Drills and Training will enable their familiarization with safe working practices, so as to protect human life, the environment and property.
- Hazardous Materials Regulation HAZMAT (5 days): The HAZMAT training course consists of 40 hours of in-class theories and practical training/drills pertaining to the U.S. DOT Hazardous Materials Regulations. The course satisfies the requirements for the safe and secure transportation of hazardous materials by port authorities, freight forwarders, shippers, inspectors, manufacturers, shipboard and ashore personnel. Participants receive eleven (11) days sea service credit towards any deck or engine credential or endorsement.
- Marine Environmental Awareness (3 days): This training course provides training on environmental awareness, in compliance with the new Manila Amendments to the STCW Code, effective as of January 1, 2012. Participants get to understand the environmental challenges and effects of shipping practices, as well as the necessity of implementation and compliance to Codes and Regulations. They also gain knowledge of pollution prevention measures, and protection of the maritime environment.
- Crisis Management & Human Behavior (1 day): This course has been designed for Masters, Officers, Crew personnel responsible for passengers’ safe embarkation and disembarkation during an emergency, as well as ashore Emergency Response team members. Through a number of real-life scenarios and drills/practical exercises, participants will learn how to retain control during critical situations, how to establish effective communication and understand human behavior during an emergency.
- Crowd Management (1 day): This 8-hour training course will provide familiarization, safety training and Crowd Management techniques to Masters, Officers, Crew of Passenger & Ro-Ro ships, as well as office emergency response team and ashore personnel offering direct services to passengers.
- Advanced Chemical Tanker (5 days): This 40-hour training course will provide participants with substantial knowledge on the Oil & Gas industry, the carriage and handling of dangerous liquids via chemical tank ships, Refineries and Pipelines.
- Tank Ship Familiarization (Dangerous Liquids) (5 days): This 40-hour training course will become familiar with tank ships as well as the carriage and handling of dangerous liquids.
- First Aid, CPR & AED (2 days): The course consists of 16 hours of practical training, video demonstrations and lectures on First Aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillation (AED). Participants will be trained to act in emergency situations both onboard and at the port area, and learn how to identify and care for life-threatening respiratory or cardiac emergencies in adults. The practical session entails to the use of anatomical mannequins and Defibrillators to professionally train crew to rescue and respond to breathing and cardiac emergencies.
- Train The Trainer STCW Part B’ (2 days): STCW requires the proper qualifications and certified courses of instructors training seafarers. This 16-hour training course will offer maritime executives and officers the knowledge and skills to design, produce and deliver maritime training programs ashore and onboard ships. It is a useful tool for maritime professionals of limited training experience.
LAST UPDATED ON Oct 25, 2018