Translate to Your Language
Maritime Engineering, Naval Architecture, and Maritime Archaeology Education and Research in Adelaide
Founded in 1966, Flinders University, (The Flinders University of South Australia), is a public university in Adelaide, South Australia and has an established reputation for its excellence in teaching and research. Flinders is renowned for strong international links with universities and research institutions across Asia, Europe and North and South America. Flinders is a member of the International Network of Universities (INU) and a founding member of Innovative Research Universities Australia (IRUA).
The university has over 18,000 in its student body with over 15,000 from Australia and over 3000 international students. As demonstrated by the 2009 Shanghai Jiao-Tong University Academic Ranking of World Universities, Flinders University is in the top 13 universities in Australia, in the top 68 universities in the Asia-Pacific region and in the top 400 universities in the world.
Flinders School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics (CSEM) is one of the fastest growing computer science and engineering departments in the country offering accredited courses and best practice teaching, research and consulting in the areas of Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics and Statistics and many branches of Engineering. Also the Archaeology department has some impressive programs in maritime archaology.
- Bachelor of Engineering Hons (Maritime) - 4 years: The degree will prepare you to become a professional engineer in the maritime engineering industry. You’ll learn to design and manage the building of maritime vehicles, coastal engineering projects, port and harbor facilities, and offshore oil and gas installations. The first two years of the degree provide a common entry pathway to specialize in naval architecture, ocean engineering, or marine and offshore systems.
Bachelor of Engineering Specializations
- The first two years of this award are undertaken at Flinders University and the third and fourth years are undertaken at the Australian Maritime College, a part of the University of Tasmania. The award is conferred by the University of Tasmania as follows:
- Naval Architecture
- Ocean Engineering:
- Marine and Offshore Systems
- Graduate Certificate in Maritime Archaeology (18 units - 6 months)
- Graduate Diploma in Maritime Archaeology (36 units - 1 year)
- Master of Maritime Archaeology (54 units - 2 years)
- These programs aims to meet the needs of graduates in archaeology and related disciplines who wish to specialize in maritime archaeology. The course is designed to provide students with a sound theoretical and methodological grounding in maritime archaeology and underwater cultural heritage management, an understanding and appreciation of the place and role of maritime archaeology in the interpretation of maritime sub-cultures as well as cultures in the wider context, and to allow students to understand the history of the practice of maritime and underwater archaeology. Masters students will develop and implement the skills associated with successfully planning and conducting a focused research project and writing a research minor thesis.
- Master of Engineering (by research)
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Flinders research in engineering related to naval architecture is strong with substantial research in the design of underwater vehicles, control systems, signal processing, instrumentation and embedded systems. Research in maritime electronics is included in strengths such as the Intelligent Systems Engineering Group and the group has an enviable research record.
FLINDERS UNIVERSITY Features
The process of getting a job in Australia may be quite different to what you are familiar with in your home country. Getting a job can be daunting and it is important to be prepared and familiar with local expectations. The Careers and Employer Liaison Centre offers a Career Link Express program for currently enrolled Flinders University students. This is an excellent opportunity to meet with an industry professional from the career sector/occupation that you want to enter. The industry professionals come from multinational business consulting firms, international development, state/local/federal government, community sector, hospitals, education, private sector, scientific community and more.
- Campus: Flinders is located in South Australia’s Adelaide southern suburbs just 20 minutes from the city’s central business district. It is an environment you will find is perfectly suited to study – a combination of modern buildings and facilities set in 180 hectares with natural Australian bush, pine forests and gardens.
- Accreditation: Flinders University is a public university. The Engineering programs are accredited by Engineers Australia at the Professional level.
- Careers Fairs: Each year the Careers and Employer Liaison Centre (CELC) runs Recruitment/Careers Fairs for current students and recent graduates of Flinders University. Fairs are an opportunity for final and penultimate year students to meet with representatives of participating organizations in an informal environment.
- WorkReady Internship Program: The WorkReady Internship Program aims to enhance your skills and experience at University by providing unpaid work placements to assist you to develop the skills desired by graduate employers. WorkReady prepares you for the workplace by complementing your degree with practical experience - adding an edge to your resume. The program provides you with choices - you can apply for an existing WorkReady vacancy, or source your own.
- Degree Plus Program: The Degree Plus Program is designed to assist you BEFORE you graduate with a series of workshops and seminars focusing on employability skills. DegreePlus sessions are designed to further develop your abilities and place an emphasis on the practical skills necessary in the workplace, while also giving you an opportunity to better understand of how to apply these skills through your studies.
- Campus Services Hub: The Campus Services Hub provides a range of services to students looking for support or advice. Dedicated, qualified staff can provide you with academic counseling and student advocacy, financial guidance and support. A range of services including casual employment, DVD and CD lending, and second-hand book sales are also on offer.
- Housing: Flinders is the only university where you can choose to live on-campus in the Adelaide metropolitan area. The University Hall accommodates 242 students in fully furnished single rooms. The Deirdre Jordan Village has self-catered accommodation for 306 students. Adelaide is also a great place to experience off-campus living.
LAST UPDATED ON Sep 22, 2017